Board Logo

my baja
vwsteve - July 18th, 2008 at 07:25 AM

I was supposed to go to the last gold coast vw show but woke up sunday morning with the cant be bothered driving that far attitutude so i went to the caboolture markets instead.While there i saw some off road tyres which i looked at for my baja project but they were 14 inch and i needed 15, the owner asked what i needed them for so i told him about my project, he told me about one his who mate had for 10 plus years and its been sitting around for ages and was thinking about selling it so i got his number and this is what i got.
Ive been collecting parts for my project for a few years now and been spewing when my mate nills goes out in his and i cant go so i started looking for one that i can run around in untill my long term project is done.This one has very little rust, full fibreglass front, h/d torsion bars, type 3 rear end, big wheels galvanised and powdercoated, vdo guages,external oil cooler, weber carb,good bars, big bash plate etc.

vwsteve - July 18th, 2008 at 07:27 AM

vwsteve - July 18th, 2008 at 07:29 AM

type3kid - July 18th, 2008 at 11:59 AM

damn man!!

good score...:tu:

vwsteve - July 18th, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Took a while to get it running,there was a nest made in the carb as the aircleaner was stuffed, the carby was 180 degrees round the wrong way???????who knows why...., the coil was wired up the wrong way, the dist was r##ted and it took a while to figure out but 2 plugs were only half way in, had me going for a while, it runs really well, needs smaller jets in the carb as it getting way too much fuel.Other than that it needs new brakes and the gearbox mount welded up again, had to put another wiring harness in it as rats ate the old one, found 3 dead rats in it.

Midlife crisis - July 18th, 2008 at 01:28 PM

Nice score Rexy, watch out in the bush here comes Rexy

marc

vwsteve - July 18th, 2008 at 01:44 PM

Yeh thanks, cant wait, i had 2 when i was a teenager and really miss it, the glasshouse forestry is not far from my place, i used to go all through there all the time, and want to go back to fraser and moreton again too:tu:

pod - July 18th, 2008 at 05:52 PM

Lucky bugger great score ,i cant wait to get mine finished ,just need some time:rolleyes:

vwjon - July 19th, 2008 at 10:28 AM

good score mate! the reason the carbys 180* out is cos the linkage from your cable pulls on the left hand side of the carb, if you turn the carby round the cable will have to come thru the fan!!!
i've got the same carby on my baja, i've looked at swapping it over, but i figured that the buisness bits will be more protected that way round.

have fun dude! get some pics of rooster tails for us!!!! yay!

Birch Green - July 19th, 2008 at 07:03 PM

Looks great - good find...!

I wish I could stumble on something similar.

X-I-TED - July 19th, 2008 at 09:16 PM

nice but not as nice as a baja'd kg this is a basic example http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=637123 

vwsteve - July 20th, 2008 at 06:23 PM

would you believe i bought a razor edge karmann ghia baja not long ago too,well they cut the wheel arches out for big wheels:no:

vwsteve - July 22nd, 2008 at 10:41 AM

here is the type 3 razor ghia baja attempt!

pete wood - July 23rd, 2008 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by X-I-TED
nice but not as nice as a baja'd kg this is a basic example http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=637123 

Sorry mate, but I like Rexy's new ride a lot better.

Congrats Rexy. Looks like you hit paydirt. :yes:

X-I-TED - July 23rd, 2008 at 02:07 PM

GO the baja'd razor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! make a fantastic endeavour rally car !!!!!!!!
with all your vw's sims would sponser you no wukers :lol:

vwsteve - July 23rd, 2008 at 02:19 PM

yeah the razor needs your big chrome motor in it too:lol:

X-I-TED - July 23rd, 2008 at 02:40 PM

yeah a decent motor, box, brakes, suspension and a year or so of body work it could be ready to rally
dont forget the limo tint

Joel - July 23rd, 2008 at 08:26 PM

DCNs can be mounted either way but the way in ur picture is easiest cos of the linkage

ive seen them the other way around b4 but have pretty elaborate linkages systems to make it work

vwsteve - July 25th, 2008 at 02:23 PM

yeh this one already had the linkage modified on the carb but i reakon the owner must have smoked a bit too much green stuff because he bolted it on the wrong way around:)

fangdangle - July 31st, 2008 at 05:37 PM

xmas comes early this year, wicked.

baja burley - September 22nd, 2008 at 10:35 PM

looks great bargain