Board Logo

My 63 ratty ragtop
vwsteve - September 22nd, 2008 at 07:50 AM

This is my old factory ragtop bug ive owned for 15 years now, its been sitting around for many years now but i thought i would share what i done to it ages ago.It started off as a plain old 63 gulf blue bug with a 1200 in it, it only had a bit of rust under the battery otherwise really good original condition.I put it on the road as it was and drove it for many years untill the 1200 said goodbye, i then put a 1600 in it with a holden stromberg, top end it just flew but it ran very rich.Where i was working as an apprentice panel beater there was a holding yard where all the smashed cars turned up so i ended up buying a kombi for the type 4 engine, then bought a sharpbuilt kit and went about doing the conversion.I ran it with straight out heater boxes for 2 weeks from caboolture to kilcoy everyday, made a hell of a noise but gees it flew!It slowed down considerably when i put an exhaust on it.I originally ran 13 inch rims all round and it chirped the wheels in 1st 2nd and third( fourth once or twice), but because the car was lowered i got sick of welding the exhaust back on all the time.I left the 13s on the front and put 15s 235 tyres on the rear, i lightly flared the original guards to fit them, there is no room to fit fingers inside or outside the tyre to body gap and it does not rub.

vwsteve - September 22nd, 2008 at 08:04 AM

vwsteve - September 22nd, 2008 at 09:12 AM

This car i think is now on its 5th or 6th gearbox as they just wouldnt last, it is now a 1500 long axle box which is holding well(touch wood)I bought a ragtop roof section from volksrestore many years ago and went about installing it, i cut the hole with a jigsaw, sat the section on it, tied it down and drove the car to my work where i measured cut and welded, smoothed out and painted the area in 1 day.I swapped the original red interior for blue to match, shaved the front indicators and frenched an arial in the guard.I had the big stereo with amps and subs but got sick of it so when a mate offered to swap the stereo for an oval body i agreed.The original 1800 type 4 ended up with a noisy big end eventually so i put a 2litre in which was a dissapointment as it went slower than the 1800.I eventually took the car off the road many years ago as i had trouble keeping my licence.