Board Logo

68 beetle, the next step
Kafer Lover - February 17th, 2009 at 10:17 PM

I think I am having something of a mid-life crisis :no: but I reckon its time to take my faithful little beetle to the next stage...
first purchased a few years ago, see the photo of it in blue, from the original owners, but it had had a bit of a hard life. So I took it and cleaned it up..see the black and white version.
Happy with the results at the time which included a fresher 1600tp with dual 36 webers, '76 front guards and bumpers, lowered...

It served its purpose for a number of years as my daily driver, but then with family and all going on it made way for something more family sized as my daily. It has sat in the driveway for a couple of years, and as a result the paint, which was never the most fantastic job, although not too bad, is suffering now, particularly the bonnet and roof.

So now I feel the urge to bring my baby back to life, and then some. Plans include replacing the pan with a '76 pan I was doing up for an oval project that never eventuated, 2276 engine :cool: , a lovely set of brakes courtesy of VWCOOL :!: and some porsche wheels to show off those horny brakes.

Kafer Lover - February 17th, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Thinking to leave the paint as is for the moment, a bit ratty, but eye-catching from a distance.

Also on the wish list is maybe to change front guards to earlies, and some blade bumpers.

Kafer Lover - February 17th, 2009 at 10:24 PM

For the project, I am still looking for some porsche centre caps to suit these wheels (just the black and silver versions, not the coloured ones) and some rear pop-outs to suit.

I actually have a couple of pairs of early pop outs that I was going to use on the oval project, but never did, so if someone has some late ones, and wants some earlies maybe we can work something out...?

silver - February 18th, 2009 at 06:35 AM

Should look sweet!!
cant help with the late pop outs... but I am keen on your early ones
will you sell them?

lardo - February 18th, 2009 at 06:44 AM

I have a set of late ones that I am keen on swaping for earlys for my oval.let me know
Neil 0418 230 614

Kafer Lover - February 18th, 2009 at 08:43 PM

PM's sent to you both. :tu:

PHAT BUG - March 3rd, 2009 at 05:20 AM

Great idea Tim, can't wait to see it with those wheels on.

Kafer Lover - March 28th, 2009 at 07:09 PM

minor update...got some shoes for its feet today..

and with some help (thanks Doc) lifted the engine onto the pan, easier to transport, cos if all goes well its off to the workshop next weekend to start the assembly..

colonel mustard - March 28th, 2009 at 07:34 PM

Nice looking engine there!! I think you have a flat...... :P
The alloys lookk sweet dude! love it. Are they still the 36 webbers???

Kafer Lover - March 28th, 2009 at 08:33 PM

but its not going to get any more flat!
um. no those aren't the 36s, those are the 48s!! :lol:

colonel mustard - March 28th, 2009 at 08:44 PM

Nice. Looking good dude.

Kafer Lover - September 30th, 2009 at 07:54 PM

After what has seemed like such a long time there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel.
Pan has had a few fixes, VWCool's maniac brakes installed :cool:
new brake lines, kyb shocks, wheels on starting to get there....
last week body was swapped to the new pan, engine in, exhaust on

Kafer Lover - September 30th, 2009 at 08:06 PM

hopefully it will be being driven home in a couple weeks time, really hoping to go for a hoon very soon.:ninja:

still need to do a few things, a few little individualities to the body, but going to leave it mostly as is externally, looking a bit ratty (paint is not as good as the photos seems to show)

A few other things still to do, install the guages into the cockpit, install the oil cooler, but these should be done in this couple of weeks.

Then I'm also hoping to get the interior re-upholstered, so anyone got some good recommendations for trimmers?

VWCOOL - September 30th, 2009 at 08:59 PM

nice work, you should be proud!
Those brakes look good :cool:

1303Steve - September 30th, 2009 at 09:19 PM

Hi

Nice car. Noticed in the photos that your generator is fitted 90 degrees out of alignment, the earth screw should be on the top, lucky you have a spare piston on the bottom of the motor.

Steve

ian.mezz - September 30th, 2009 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve
Hi

Nice car. Noticed in the photos that your generator is fitted 90 degrees out of alignment, the earth screw should be on the top, lucky you have a spare piston on the bottom of the motor.

Steve
:blush:looks good
I notice that your front tyres not going in direction of the tread rotation:blush:

Kafer Lover - September 30th, 2009 at 10:34 PM

yeah, I know, they have just been whacked on quickly, got to swap them around still

cam070 - September 30th, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Looking forward to seeing what this looks like when it comes together. I was thinking of putting blade bars onto a late model.

Kafer Lover - November 22nd, 2009 at 08:49 AM

Got my baby back home yesterday, heres a couple of happy snaps.
Still got a number of things to do: including winding down the adjusters at front for a bit more respectable stance, was going to do this today but its absolutely bucketing down this morning.
Need to get the interior done seriously soon, the drivers seat is alot more stuffed than I thought - making it really hard for a shortass like me to drive.

It was a bit reluctant to start this morning, and had a fuel leak at the petrol tank after filling it up yesterday, so need to look at that.
But it goes FAST :cool:

Kafer Lover - November 22nd, 2009 at 08:50 AM

pics!

Bizarre - November 22nd, 2009 at 09:06 AM

Love those Boxster wheels!
Reckon they are thge best bang for buck wheel around

Love the black and white as well

:tu::tu::tu:

71-BEETLE-SEDAN - November 22nd, 2009 at 09:23 AM

If you ever feel the need i heard somewhere hat if you swap thhe rear tyres over so the tread is the wrong way that htey smoke better.

Bizarre - November 22nd, 2009 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kafer Lover
I am still looking for some porsche centre caps to suit these wheels (just the black and silver versions, not the coloured ones)

You can buy these from Pelican Parts

$20US each

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=993-361-303-11-9A1...

Kafer Lover - November 22nd, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I did get some cheap copies, but I am not so sure they are going to cover the front hubs, particularly the left side with the accelerator cable protruding.
I haven't tried yet, but thats what it looks like anyway.

DylanTheDubber - November 22nd, 2009 at 01:07 PM

good on you for saving that bug. It's looking great. :)

beerdoc - December 5th, 2009 at 09:03 PM

Good on ya Tim

Bailsy said he heard ya doing laps haha

Kafer Lover - December 5th, 2009 at 10:42 PM

ha ha, yes that was probably me :smilegrin:

hey doc, you got a welder? I need a couple of tack welds on my drivers seat??

empi - December 6th, 2009 at 06:37 PM

Aint seen u in a while?!?!?

Looking good Tim, Need to match yr numberplates....

Kafer Lover - December 6th, 2009 at 09:23 PM

Hey Adam, how ya doing?
Yeah, I know..I almost feel ashamed to drive around with these plates, but I am having some issues getting it to drop further.
I'll get it sorted sometime.:smirk:

Bizarre - December 7th, 2009 at 07:40 AM

With the centre caps - just drill a 1/4" hole in the centre of the LHS one and the speedo cable sort of pokes through