Board Logo

Mattie`s Ragtop
57 Chook Shed - August 4th, 2010 at 09:18 PM

Just thought I`d post a few pics of Mattie`s Ragtop which I am currently undertaking a whole heap of welding on.
I reckon this thing had been lying in a creek on it`s passenger side for a few years or something! It`s amazing how it needs heater channel, floor, major front quarter/door pillar repair, windsreen surround bottom, front bumper mount/spare wheel well all on the one side and yet the drivers side only needs battery tray and a small
repair to the door pillar bottom!
Anyway I have been given the OK to post a few pics for you guys to see and if anyone else in SA needs some welding doing................!
Cheers
Graham.

57 Chook Shed - August 4th, 2010 at 09:20 PM

Probably the dodgiest repair I have ever seen!!!

57 Chook Shed - August 4th, 2010 at 09:26 PM

Hilarious and is definately one for the garage wall!

57 Chook Shed - August 4th, 2010 at 09:29 PM

This is how much had to go.............................

57 Chook Shed - August 4th, 2010 at 09:33 PM

Just waiting on the donor car to be dropped off on Saturday for the repair sections. It was definately on the cards to transfer the roof into a better shell but to keep an original Ragtop rather than cut one up to make a non original Ragtop seemed the way to go.
Here`s a bit of a repair I did today on the nose.

57 Chook Shed - August 4th, 2010 at 09:37 PM

57 Chook Shed - August 4th, 2010 at 09:39 PM

But the drivers side is a completely different story!

cam070 - August 4th, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Some nice welding & patching there. if you were closer, I'd have some work for you!

mattie - August 5th, 2010 at 08:24 PM

wow gra!!!! that front section looks fab!!

your doing a great job buddy ill call ya tomorrow n arrange a time to head up saturday.

Great job.

mattie

57 Chook Shed - August 5th, 2010 at 09:41 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys

57 Chook Shed - August 6th, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Added the captive nut (from the section of front quarter I cut out) for the lower front guard bolt.

57 Chook Shed - August 6th, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Gotta love this repair!!
Do you want me to leave this Mattie or you want it to look more original?!!!! Solid as (Tek screws)!!!

bajachris88 - August 6th, 2010 at 08:28 AM

Very well done man :tu:

Out of curiousity, whats ur methods for smoothing off the welds and blending it in really nicely like you done?

grind most of it off then finish with some waffle pad or something?

57 Chook Shed - August 6th, 2010 at 09:54 AM

Thanks mate.
I just use Flapdiscs which are fairly expensive but available from all good hardware stores!
They are great because you can go from taking off large amounts of metal to pretty much a light buff depending on how the amount of pressure put on them.
I swear by them and don`t really know how I ever managed without them!
Cheers
Graham.

57 Chook Shed - August 6th, 2010 at 09:54 AM

Thats on the angle grinder by the way.

57 Chook Shed - August 6th, 2010 at 09:57 AM

Been working on a little side line of "Car Art" also. Here`s a wall mounted planter I made from a couple of Bug front guards and some old Art Nouveau pressed tin ceiling sheet.

Scarab - August 6th, 2010 at 02:26 PM

lovin that corrugated iron floor....the boys at Regency would love that!!! :lol:

Nice work Graham! lovely to see an original being repaired!

Will catch up soon Mattie :D

Scarab (aka: Paul)

Turbo54 - August 6th, 2010 at 04:17 PM

Hi Graham,
Nice work,
When do you what to start on my turbo54? It is a lot better than this as a starting point.
Heath

vw54 - August 6th, 2010 at 04:32 PM

thats a great repair congrads hope it goes well

Whats the chassis number as a matter of interest is it 64 or 65 ??

what to see how close to mine it may be I have a June 65

57 Chook Shed - August 6th, 2010 at 08:28 PM

Hey Heath long time no see! When do you want me to start? Lovin the response I'm gettin! Need premises, my driveway is gettin full! Seriously tho mate sure I cam help you out. Will get that chassis number Dave.

57 Chook Shed - August 6th, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Chassis number is 195622618 would be pretty close to yours I reckon.

57 Chook Shed - August 11th, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Here`s a few progress pictures of the Ragtop.

I cut out the remainder of the passenger floor and heater channel today. I unpicked the factory seams where possible and cleaned it all up ready for the new metal.

57 Chook Shed - August 11th, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Here`s the donor Bug. Nice job trying to "modernise" it!!
Love the Salisbury Hood Graphix!
Don`t worry though she`s going to good use. After the required body cuts are taken and the roof removed for the roof chop on my `57 VolksRod, the rest will be stored ready to repair other needy Bugs and the chassis will be made into a paddock bashing sandrail style of type of thing for the kids over at my inlaws property! It`s good recycling.

57 Chook Shed - August 12th, 2010 at 09:13 PM

Took the body off the pan on the donor Bug today ready to unpick the various sections.
You know a heater channel is good when the bolts look like this.............

57 Chook Shed - August 12th, 2010 at 09:15 PM

Nice.....

57 Chook Shed - August 12th, 2010 at 09:19 PM

I am feeling guilty about cutting this one up now. Can`t look it in the eye! Just need to look at it as being a full set of repair panels!

57 Chook Shed - August 12th, 2010 at 09:20 PM

Slammed!!

DieSchnelleKafer - August 21st, 2010 at 06:19 PM

awsome work your doing there man. dont feel guilty about cutting it up, survival of the fittest, in this case your rag is the fittest

mattie - August 23rd, 2010 at 09:35 AM

the rags a heap of junk haha but in gra`s hands it will see the light of day once again.

jacky_moo - August 24th, 2010 at 08:58 AM

fantastic work there mate!

I had an old laser that was so full of rust every time i parked it anywhere it would get all beetle-esque and mark its territory ... not with oil but with rust flakes!

If you ever move to Melbourne and need a job as a welder give me a shout ;)

in re to the donor car ... put a sheet over its lights so it cant see :P