Board Logo

Bubbles
Trendy - February 12th, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Introducing my bug, Bubbles. I have had this for a while. Its been under my house for a year or so and i have plans to restore her. Just replaced her engine for another 1600. She has been stripped off seats, carpet and liners. I have repainted her but still just in primer. Hope to get her back to blue again. She will be ratty here and not so there. Just want to get her driveable so I can get my self own to the Ferry and around my island.

Hope to be more involved with the vw world and forums.

Any input appreciated.
Hope myt pics come thru as i am still working it all out.

Bizarre - February 12th, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Mate

leave the paint job
I like it!

beetleboyjeff - February 12th, 2012 at 01:14 PM

It certainly is ......... interesting.

Trendy - February 12th, 2012 at 02:48 PM

Stripped down just after. Mmm kinda like the chrome look. Back then thought she was going to be a rod. But now she is primed again waiting for that original blue to come back.

Trendy - February 12th, 2012 at 03:05 PM

More pics

5lam - February 13th, 2012 at 03:09 PM

Man, I would've just rubbed off those graphics and left the patina!
It looks pretty solid though

Camo - February 13th, 2012 at 04:04 PM

Looks good and a late 1960 model I believe. Be careful of those rear tail lights not to damage them.

Keep updates coming as you get them.

Kev

Trendy - June 10th, 2012 at 02:41 PM

Just a few more updates on Bubbles people. These pics are over 6 months old now. She is now blue. hope to get some more pics up soon.

Trendy - June 10th, 2012 at 02:49 PM

Tried to color match a piece from the back of the glove box. Had a blow out on the spray gun hence the undercoat splash. Any way the final colour is a little darker. Unimpressed with the colour match. Would recommend checking the colour of paint before you walk out the door of the shop. At the end of the day the cars painted.

Trendy - July 29th, 2012 at 04:30 PM

Finally got down to the last layer of paint. Well the 4 th and final coat was laid today. took the car out to dry in the sun and get a bit of air today. My other Wife, the original likes it. Even more satisfiying to know. Bubbles had her jewels put back. A bit of bling has really made me happy to know what she would of looked like when she was younger.

I took a few pics this arvo just so folks could have a look. My mate in Norway would like to see them. Since he looked after the bug for nearly a decade. I just need to cut her back and polish her to a super shine. Need to fix the ratty door cards. Put the new headliner in, Buy a rubber bits ie window seals and etc. Get her tuned and hope the bloke here on the Island get her on the road 'worthy for me. Me thinks that all this may take another 2 years. Who thought a simple spray job at home could take 2 years.

Will keep updates as I get time to do more work on her.

Trendy - July 29th, 2012 at 04:32 PM

A few more pics

Trendy - July 29th, 2012 at 04:36 PM

more

Trendy - July 29th, 2012 at 04:41 PM

and a few more

66deluxe - July 29th, 2012 at 04:41 PM

Unreal mate. Nice blue.

Super1302 - July 29th, 2012 at 06:31 PM

me like too, neat and straight, cant go too wrong with that, slip in a 2332, yee haa:tu:

Trendy - September 22nd, 2013 at 04:30 PM

Found a set of tough racks for my bug.Hope you clean it up and varnush or rust kill it white. Also have spruced up the rims and painted them recently. All four with 165s all round for cheese cutting round my island. I have added a few new door rubbers since last post but not much else. starting fixing steering wheel horn threads and plan to get rest of windows in.

Trendy - September 22nd, 2013 at 04:37 PM

pictures

rusty69 - September 23rd, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Bubbles is beautiful... Nice job on the paint. Nice roof rack too.