Board Logo

gearing problems
Birko - July 5th, 2009 at 08:49 PM

Gday all, Im new to this forum, Ive spent hours reading threads, posts. My reason for joining is, for about 4 years now ive been building a buggy it is getting to its final stage and am trying to iron out probs. Superbug chassis, type3 disk front, superbug irs rear, twin port 1600 twin solex T3 exhaust, 15 inch rims front rally tyres rear desert duellers, tube frame roll bars etc, hinged rear tray. I wont go on.
Have had fuel prob, dodgy electric fuel pump, now that is sorted have a gearing prob. Correct me if im wrong but think rear end is for highway use, tall gears, coupled with large diameter tyres, this is not good for climbing or quick acceleration. Can i use reduction hubs? easily change gearing? is there another box that will do the trick? My budget has been tight with entire project and wife would like to keep it that way.
Any tips or questions would be greatly appreciated.
Please help

68AutoBug - July 5th, 2009 at 09:29 PM

Hi
Rather unusual making a buggy from a superbeetle...
what did you mount the front suspension to..?

The supers had the highest gearing / diff ratio

Ealy swing axle beetles had 4.375 diff ratio..
1200 1300 beetles...
Not sure about 1500s.. etc..
or late 1300s... although all swing axles...

but for an IRS cv joint rear axle...
many people opt out for the swing axle rear suspension and early gearboxes...

I have read about using early gearbox with IRS or maybe it was IRS gearbox with swing axles..
cannot remember....

Finding good reduction hubs is going to be difficult...
they are VERY old now and have been sitting about for years.... I think You would need the whole rear suspension setup with reduction hubs... [swingaxles]

Maybe someone else can tell you more...

cheers

LEE

VWCOOL - July 5th, 2009 at 09:34 PM

Cheap way: smaller tyres. Do you really need superhero rear tyres?

Expensive way: More power!

Even if you get an IRS gearbox built with a late 1300 4.375:1 diff assembly in it (a good but obvioulsy non-budget idea), tall tyres will kill the overall gearing

Birko - July 7th, 2009 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 68AutoBug
Hi

1200 1300 beetles...

I have read about using early gearbox with IRS or maybe it was IRS gearbox with swing axles..
cannot remember....

they are VERY old now and have been sitting about for years.... I think You would need the whole rear suspension setup with reduction hubs... [swingaxles]

cheers

LEE

Birko - July 7th, 2009 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 68AutoBug
Hi

1200 1300 beetles...

cannot remember....

cheers

LEE

Thanx for quick response LEE,
I started out with a really old chassis, a friend found a superbug cheap he took engine i took rest, cut front end off super fabricated T3 disk front joined with heavy angle butted togethor with high tensile bolts, front end attached to rollcage, rear end to chassis, hopefully makes it stronger.
Just my luck that supers have taller gears, has large rear tyres because these were available (low budget venture).
Hope to get some piucs up soon.
Maybe another member may have more info on reduction hubs.
I like the irs rear because have ability to jack suspension right up with out the wheels folding inwards, wont be an issue to place smaller tyres on rear but not sure this will make enough difference.
Thanx heaps, birko

Birko - July 7th, 2009 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VWCOOL
Cheap way: smaller tyres. Do you really need superhero rear tyres?

Expensive way: More power!

Even if you get an IRS gearbox built with a late 1300 4.375:1 diff assembly in it (a good but obvioulsy non-budget idea), tall tyres will kill the overall gearing

Thanx VWCOOL,
no dont nedd superhero tyres, just on there cos they were cheap. will try smaller and see the effects, thanx heps for advise, birko

Anthiron - July 7th, 2009 at 04:50 PM

reduction hubs are for swingers arent they?

your options are.

smaller tyres
bigger engine
rebuild gearbox with lower gearing
kombi gearbox conversion

or a combination of

Birko - July 7th, 2009 at 09:38 PM

hey Nicko, thanx for comment.
Any one know whats involved with kombi box conversion, currently i have standard superbug rear.
Forgive my ignorance Im new to this- Swingers! Are these the drive shaft thingys with one knuckle on each shaft as opposed to irs which has 2 knuckles per shaft???
Trying to upload pics of buggy from mobile, any ideas?