Board Logo

Non-standard Lights on a Bug??
Flat4Freak - April 8th, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Has anyone installed non-standard lights on a Bug?? I saw a Morris Minor the other day with PT Cruiser lights on. I am thinking on doing something different for my 69 Bug. Can anyone shed some light on the subject??

Volkswagenboy - April 8th, 2007 at 10:07 PM

I'm planning to do the same thing, using Mercedes Benz headlights and fibreglass aero guards. You'll either need a good, old fashioned panel beater or know someone who knows their way around fibreglass.
What are you thinking of using?
-Staggers.

Flat4Freak - April 9th, 2007 at 01:25 AM

I was thinking of using just something simple. Hadn't had any ideas as yet. I was hoping someone may have done something like it before, and spark of my imagination.

aussiebaja - April 9th, 2007 at 07:50 AM

ive got square headlights from a suby brumby in my baja

VWCOOL - April 9th, 2007 at 01:28 PM

They have to be legal (height, wattage etc) and ADR compliant. Easiest way to do this is use lights from another car of same year or newer, or product such as Hella or Narava that is already 'okayed' as ADR compatible

But :puke to 'custom' lights, I say!

1303Steve - April 9th, 2007 at 02:04 PM

Hi

Are talking about head lights or tailights?

Steve

Flat4Freak - April 10th, 2007 at 10:29 AM

Tail lights. I saw some sweet tail light assemblies on other VWs in some of the overseas magazines. Thought I might try something different.

The only adjustment I am doing to the front lights is removing the indicator on the top of the fender, and putting a round indicator below the headlight.

aussiebaja - April 10th, 2007 at 06:32 PM

as long as they meet the aussie standards i cant see why you couldnt do it ,,,its up too your imagination

shaihulud - April 23rd, 2007 at 05:10 PM

Please don't French in a set of Torana tail lights, or I'll have you drummed out of the regiment.

5PL1TDCS10N - April 23rd, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Yeah def DONT french in Torana tail lights-make sure they're from a SUNBIRD!haha

blutopless2 - April 24th, 2007 at 10:31 AM

have seen "hot rod" style tear drop tail lights used on bugs before... they come up nice.

aussiebaja - April 24th, 2007 at 05:58 PM

go something totally different like xr falcon tail lights ,,

sinecure - May 14th, 2007 at 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stacy b
go something totally different like xr falcon tail lights ,,

I bet he was kidding.

Look at some split taillights from some late model sports bikes, I think they would come up wicked properly done.

ancientbugger - May 21st, 2007 at 10:17 PM

I once fitted the early BMW back lights to a beetle, the round ones with the indicator in the middle. They looked great but all the backs were open to anything that flew off the tyres and were nothing but trouble in the end. Looked nice though. Morris Minors came with chrome back lights similar-ish to VWs and look alright but don't forget if you reverse standard beetle rear lights (not sure about 'elephant feet' type) left to right you can then turn them horizontal for a different look, did that too years ago!