Board Logo

Pre-67 front fenders on a 69 bug?
Flat4Freak - April 16th, 2007 at 11:11 AM

Can anyone help me. I really like the look of the pre-67 headlights, but have a 69 bug. Can you exchange the 69 front fenders for pre 67 fenders? Do they fit?

Also, if I want to remove the chrome trim from the body (the ones that run from the front to the back of the car, and on the boot lid), but there are many holes that were used to attach these parts to the body. Is there any way of covering over these holes, or should I just leave them on?

akean1 - April 16th, 2007 at 12:03 PM

as far as i understand all the beetle guards are intercahangeable, you might need to modify the holes for the bumper though? (except for superbugs)
you could fill the chrome holes with a little fiberglass bog work (you will need to re-paint) its up to you as to what look your after. im planning on removing the chrome on my squareback to minimise spots where water will hold and potentially rust

helbus - April 16th, 2007 at 09:29 PM

Fibreglass and/ or bog to fill holes will rust or fall out.

Clean hole area to bare metal. Use drill bit ever so slightly bigger to drill hole so that the insides of the hole are bare metal

Ideally soldering the holes using 50/50 lead/tin stick and an old type copper block soldering iron. You heat the iron until ready with a flame torch, then get a good drop of solder on the end. Then with a wipe of solder flux on the panel, insert the tip of the iron into the hole, and lift it back out while turning the iron.

Now you have perfect lead filled hole with no distortion, and you can file and metal finish.

akean1 - April 16th, 2007 at 10:01 PM

thta sounds heaps better:thumb

empi - April 16th, 2007 at 11:01 PM

They will fit but u will have to cut holes for the bumper brackets. Have a look at some pics of an earlier car and the same year as yours compare the diffrences, front valence, bumper mounts bonnet, etc.

empi - April 16th, 2007 at 11:10 PM

Early ,69(your model), what your car woul look like if you did this but with early bumper.

[ Edited on 16-4-2007 by empi ]