Board Logo

Dying Seat Belts??
bugbum - June 15th, 2003 at 11:34 AM

Does anyone know how to dye seat belts?? I'm trying to dye seat belts for my bug from gold to black. I've tried four different types of dyes but they still won't dye. What am I doing wrong??:sandrine

vw54 - June 15th, 2003 at 04:58 PM

I have only6 made mine darker by using the same colour dye or similar to the colour of the belt.

So use a black dte on a black belt.

Cause there a Nylon fabric i dont think that the material takes to re colouring as good as say cotton etc etc

So i think you could only go a darker shade of Gold.

pyr0 - June 15th, 2003 at 07:15 PM

are u useing tthe spray stuff or the tin stuff ???

blk56 - June 15th, 2003 at 07:43 PM

I was thinking of doing the same thing and rang a fabric shop and they told me that you have to use a hot dye . Here is a number they gave me to find out more about dying nylon 1800 025 021:bounce

Oppressa - June 24th, 2003 at 10:38 AM

Any luck bugbum? I want to do the same.

VWCOOL - June 24th, 2003 at 12:01 PM

[size=6]DON'T DO IT[/size]

You are messing with an item critical to your life/safety in an accident. DO NOT MODIFY YOUR SEATBELTS in any way, shape or form. Modifications, including dying, may deteriorate the webbing and cause it to fail in an accident. Although it is not legislated in Australia, seatbelts should be replaced every 10 (TEN) years due to UV degradation. If you wish to change the colour of your seatbelts, Klippan ofers a wide raneg of colours, as does Hot Rod Harnesses.

VWFOOL - June 25th, 2003 at 12:46 AM

where can i buy the standard seat belts for the front, like 3 point or watever, not retractable? an how much?
also, where to get lap belts for the back seat? i currently hav none...
a webiste anyone?
thanks

The_Bronze. - July 11th, 2003 at 12:36 AM

VWFOOL - "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room."

A wise dubber.

Hot dye them. Want safety, buy a Volvo.

VWFOOL - July 11th, 2003 at 01:06 AM

ur so much help steve
lol

Oppressa - July 12th, 2003 at 10:28 AM

Is hot-dye done yourself or does it have to be done professionally?

68AutoBug - August 23rd, 2003 at 06:33 PM

Oppressa,
nice looking superbug Dane,
Just had a look at Your restoration pics.
Very good. You must be spending a lot of money on Your Beetle. and the girls were nice too. cheers
Lee 68AutoBug (o\!/o)