Board Logo

fuel tank in behind rear seat
Wag67 - January 28th, 2005 at 01:30 PM

well i have a small problem and that is trying to find room to put a baby pram in our baja as well as the baby seat. it can't go in the back simply no room but it may fit in the boot if the fuel tank was not there. so i have heard that a kombi fuel tank will fit behind the rear seat and then you enclose it and vent to the outside. has anyone here done that and if so do you have some photos and advice
and other than the fact the fuel tank is behind the baby what are the bad and good points that should be considered.

any advise is muchly appreciated

vwtyp2 - January 28th, 2005 at 05:41 PM

buy a roofrack. :D

Wag67 - January 28th, 2005 at 06:27 PM

thought about that but my wife has a bad back and would be unable to lift that high

pod - January 28th, 2005 at 06:44 PM

have you thought of say a fuel tank out of a nissan or such which are already designed for behind rear seat like in a stanza etc where the filler neck will exit to rear pillar
paul

Wag67 - January 28th, 2005 at 07:10 PM

i have had a look at a kombi tank and the filler will be able to exit behind side window. i was just hoping to see if anyone has done it and if they had any problems in mounting it

11CAB - January 28th, 2005 at 08:15 PM

Mud Bashing Anyone?? started fitting up a kombi tank in the back of his Baja. Not sure if he has finished it tho.
I'd also be talking to an engineer first to make sure it is legal to do so.

ratty 63 - February 1st, 2005 at 12:30 AM

...yep - it fits, but talk to an engineer first to make sure that it is legal and considered safe.

My Brother (Dave) has a Kombi tank fitted behind the rear seat of his Baja with the filler neck exiting through the C pillar (behind the side back window on the drivers side) With some creative carpeting its almost invisible...but nothing has been approved yet....

....Apparently with an empty front tank (yep the factory tank is still there, up front), and a full rear tank the car lands really nicely when you take-off over sand dunes! :thumb

R :)