Board Logo

immobilisers
annosL - May 7th, 2009 at 02:34 PM

Has anyone fitted (personally) an immobiliser to their bug? I am getting closer to licensing time and in W.A it's law to have one, just wondering what type is the best to buy and fit.

Joel - May 7th, 2009 at 08:42 PM

seems a funny law....
newer cars i can understand but any immobilisor in an old vw is easy bypassed but if it keeps the authorities happy
ive fitted a few and have a rhino alarm/immob in mine

is there a guideline that has to be met?
ie what it immobilises etc

annosL - May 8th, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Yeah there is a quideline on the reg. forms I need to look further into it, you can't sell a car here without one so its a pain, seems to be some on ebay

shaihulud - June 6th, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Because the SR can't be locked, as it has no roof or doors, I had one of those simple immobilisers fitted that has a little black thingy that is put into the flashing light gizmo on the dash to switch it off.

I don't like those big clunky remote immobiliser thingies.

I also fitted an electric fuel cut off into the fuel supply to the engine that is wired into the immobiliser.

In WA the immobiliser must be fitted by a professional fitter and you will need to show the reciept, to show that it was done properly.

sinecure - July 10th, 2009 at 04:48 PM

In all my old cars I have fitted a small toggle switch in a discreet location wired to ground the coil. More anti-theft than immobiliser but that may be acceptable.

dekkerboy - December 14th, 2009 at 03:51 PM

Thats a crappy rule, i like the screemer alarms.

1303Steve - December 14th, 2009 at 06:26 PM

Hi

It always cracks me up when alarm fitter make the starter the cutoff on a manual car, what don't they think a crim can push a car?

Steve