Board Logo

charging early vw beetle
tmerivale - December 30th, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Hi guys just wondering who makes super chargers or turbo chargers that are suitable for early vw beetles and what models would be best. Is it worth the $$$ or should i just upgrade the motor further (motor will be getting fully rebuilt in the next 12 months). just doing research at the moment. Thanks in advance for any help that comes my way.

68AutoBug - December 30th, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tmerivale
Hi guys just wondering who makes super chargers or turbo chargers that are suitable for early vw beetles and what models would be best. Is it worth the $$$ or should i just upgrade the motor further (motor will be getting fully rebuilt in the next 12 months). just doing research at the moment. Thanks in advance for any help that comes my way.

Hi
The only supercharger that was used on early beetle engines was the JUDSON... Now very expensive... and rare...

better to upgrade to a 1500 or 1600 engine..
and 12 volts if its not done yet..

What model beetle do you own??

LEE

tmerivale - December 31st, 2009 at 01:40 AM

Gday Lee,
My car is a kit car from back in the 70's and 80's called a Eureka which was basically a throw the vw body off and bolt the new fiberglass body on.
im not sure what year the chassis is but according to previous rego (last registered in 87) it was an 83 Purvis Eureka. what i do know is that its an IRS job and believe its a mexican motor, but could be wrong, its been stamped as a police number (i live in vic). It will be getting a nice healthy upgrade... 1916cc and have been told it should be good for 80hp. Never had anything to do with the vw scene so these figures seem very low, although when power to weight comes into play hopefully it will seem a little more even. My dad had one of these cars and his only weighed 750kg with a full tank of juice. With the 1916 i was thinking maybe a little extra "oomph" might be fun when my right foot "slowly" drops to the floor :)