Board Logo

Suck or blow??
mattie182 - September 26th, 2006 at 09:08 PM

Am setting up my fuel system for the EJ22 buggy, and was wondering, is it better to have the high pressure pump at the back of the car, or at the front??

Mat

[ Edited on 26-9-2006 by mattie182 ]

MickH - September 26th, 2006 at 09:17 PM

I put mine at the front as they (high pressure pumps) dont like to suck for fuel....having said that , others have them at the rear and a low pressure pump installed to feed a surge tank so it will depend on how you set up your tank and pipework and your preference for the position of the pump.Where mine is at the front i have easy access and is close to the tank.:yes: You will also need to run high pressure lines through the tunnel if the pump is at the front whereas only low pressure lines if the pump is at the back (I say lines as you need to run 2,one for the return line) I think the title should be "suck or push"

[ Edited on 26-9-06 by Mick H ]

ricola - September 26th, 2006 at 09:18 PM

wherever the fuel tank is..

tassupervee - September 26th, 2006 at 09:21 PM

Well, its always best for these pumps to have a head of fuel at them and blow rather than have to pull the fuel.
So best place is below and close to the fuel tank.

Or:

A LP pump at the tank feeding a surge tank and the surge tank feeding the HP pump wherever you like to put them.

L8tr
E

mattie182 - September 27th, 2006 at 07:42 AM

well,

I have the tank at the front, a low pressure pump feeding the surge tank also at the front. I would prefer to have the HP pump at the back, really only because of space

Mat

pete wood - September 27th, 2006 at 11:42 AM

the order should be...

main tank --> supply pump --> surge tank --> efi pump --> (efi filter) --> motor

location of the parts in the car is largely irrelevant as long as the order is correct.

BTW, make sure you flush your tanks out properly before using them or crap will clog the efi pump. ;)

MickH - September 27th, 2006 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattie182
well,

I have the tank at the front, a low pressure pump feeding the surge tank also at the front. I would prefer to have the HP pump at the back, really only because of space

Mat

Nah...heaps of space.....I did away with the surge tank,low pressure pump etc when i got the larger fuel tank made. Now the tank outlet is directly above the high pressure pump and the return directly to the tank. It looks a hell of a lot neater now. You can see the low pressure pump near the master cylinder and the high pressure one on the passenger side. All lines are high pressure stainless inside the tunnel to the motor at the other end.Fuel filter is at the rear near the engine. I wanted to minimise the possible amount of "leak points" at the engine end and wanted acess to the pump/filter easily if needed. HTH.