Board Logo

How important are the heat sheilds on a EJ20T
1303Steve - October 12th, 2006 at 12:25 AM

Hi

How important are the heat sheilds on a EJ20T? They look ugly, so Im wondering if I should ditch them. The one near the oil filter looks useful for keeping heat away from the filter and engine mount.

Steve

seagull - October 12th, 2006 at 12:58 AM

This is my set up on the MISTRES , its not tubo & I made it .

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m315/seagull_03/DSCN0645.jpg

The turbo heat shelds need to stay !

vw54 - October 12th, 2006 at 07:15 AM

Ditch the lot of them

Baja Wes - October 12th, 2006 at 08:45 AM

I'm not familiar with the EJ20T heat shields. Can't you remake the heat shields with aluminium or something pretty?

I think the only one with experience is Terry. He has an NA EJ22 and he managed to melt his timing belt cover with the radiant heat from his exhaust.

I know another guy who had to move his exhaust and shield his turbo and stuff before the dyno operator would even let the buggy on the dyno, because the dyno operator said the heat under full load would definitely melt and set fire to things.

GTMac - October 15th, 2006 at 02:00 PM

I have no heat shields on my EJ20T in the back of my fasty and to date have had no problems what so ever.

ricola - October 16th, 2006 at 04:40 AM

I'd ditch the heatshields and wrap it with tape instead, the hotter you keep the gases up to the turbo the faster they are and the better your turbo works..
Rich

reub - October 16th, 2006 at 08:39 AM

I've no idea how important they are. I'm also not running them. I've a spare header that I plan to have HPC coated...

boof2332 - November 2nd, 2006 at 10:42 PM

Old headers were wrapped, got another set which I kept the stock shields and just wrapped the up pipe. Much of a muchness really as its at the back. You do need to shield that water line that runs above it though.

matt