Board Logo

091 box into type 3 fast back
72type3wrx - October 12th, 2006 at 03:38 PM

hey guys

have you guys done the kombi box conversion, ive looked heaps but cant find a good thread on it.

basiclly i want to know if you cant mount the box in roughly the same position as the bug box, ie have the driveshafts straight with the wheels without moving the engine.

and the nosecone (shifter) on a type 3 is different to a bettle, but i know it it easy to convert but not how.

with the berg adaptor can i simply bolt my nose cone onto it? will that work?

And how much will the kombi box come forward? do i need to cut much? will my torsion bars still work fine it i cut the center out ?

And the type 3 doesnt have any rear mounts (horns) for the gearbox, will this be a problem? can i make a custom mount for the front of the box and no rear mount?

Cheers

Klaus - October 16th, 2006 at 10:38 AM

probably easier to run a single side plate box.
If u want to do it get the stock gearbox hanger out of a kombi and make up a cross brace to suit . Or get a swing axle sub frame ,weld in irs boxes and use the beetle conversion which is easy to get from the states.

72type3wrx - October 19th, 2006 at 09:45 AM

If i am going to spend up to 5 grand on a box anyway do you guys reckon i should go for the 2ltr kombi box or the SSP box? I want a box that i wont have to touch or baby for years to come.