Board Logo

1.6TD into '73 camper
bluto - January 17th, 2007 at 02:31 PM

I hope it's okay to post here as I don't really meet the requirement of a "Non-VW" engine conversion, but there is no other conversion forum so... here is my project:

http://motorheads.net/vw/turbobus 

I have to say I'm impressed with the level of skill here. WRX and V-8's into Kombis? You guys are fearless!

-David

seagull - January 18th, 2007 at 12:54 AM

do you lean forward going up hills ?

VWCOOL - January 18th, 2007 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bluto
I hope it's okay to post here as I don't really meet the requirement of a "Non-VW" engine conversion, but there is no other conversion forum so... here is my project:

http://motorheads.net/vw/turbobus 

I have to say I'm impressed with the level of skill here. WRX and V-8's into Kombis? You guys are fearless!

-David

Welcome! A very ambitious project!

Kai.A. - January 18th, 2007 at 10:42 AM

cool project.

i had a mk2 golf with a 1.6td in it, even tho it was a tired old engine it was still a pleasure to drive and returned excellent mpg.

kai

pete wood - January 18th, 2007 at 04:50 PM

If it's not a newer single rail EFI motor, i'd think seriously about a 2l TDi instead...BTW you'll need some very tall gearing to get the best out it I reckon.

pete wood - January 18th, 2007 at 04:52 PM

oh and put the radiator up front. ;)

bluto - February 2nd, 2007 at 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pete wood
If it's not a newer single rail EFI motor, i'd think seriously about a 2l TDi instead...BTW you'll need some very tall gearing to get the best out it I reckon.

The 2L TDI is very new and expensive, not to mention electronically controlled which would probably be beyond my capability to adapt.

You're right about the gearing - I have a plan for that. Already have a later tranny with 4.86 final drive and with a .82 or .77 4th gear I should be right in the sweet spot at highway speeds. I will need to keep the revs up a little to push all that air out of the way. :P

ElusiveStranger - February 4th, 2007 at 01:27 AM

Hi Bluto.

That's looking good.

There's also http://www.vwkd.co.uk  there's a few VW TDi's on there.

There is a splitty in the UK with a TDi. The guy spent ages getting it looking good. It looks like a factory install!

From what I've heard, rads in the back don't work too well. Mine's between the chassis rails under the bus with a scoop.

Keep up the good work.

bluto - April 21st, 2007 at 03:44 PM

I put up some more info on the web page if anyone is interested. The exhaust system is almost done:

http://motorheads.net/vw/turbobus/page4.html 

I need sleep...

bluto - January 31st, 2008 at 05:05 PM

I took my first drive yesterday! I put a brief update on the web page with a couple of pictures. I have a lot of work left to do, but I am mobile again. I still have a lot of work to do as it's noisy and not very fast but I do love that turbo whistle...

-David

gerrelt - February 1st, 2008 at 05:42 AM

Congrats! The first ride is very exciting! :)

Nice conversion, I always liked the diesel conversions. There is something very nice about the great reliability and the long distances you can drive on one tank.

bluto - November 30th, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I know I will hear some "I told ya so"s but I moved the rads from the engine compartment to under the floor. I still think I could have gotten the engine compartment rads to work if I had been willing to hack up the rear bodywork but I didn't want to do that so underneath they go. And so far, it is working out very well. Click for pictures and useless commentary:

http://motorheads.net/vw/turbobus/ 

Latest stuff is on pages 6 and 7.

And thanks again for all the great info in this forum, it has kept me going on more than one occasion when I felt like throwing in the towel.

-David

pete wood - November 30th, 2009 at 02:23 PM

don't feel too bad mate. I moved mine to the front for similar reasons. it just all made more sense and works so much better. looks much neater on my car too. and afterall, half the idea of an engine swap is the fun of problem solving to get a setup better than factory could provide. that takes time and brain power, not to mention trial and error, before you succeed. if you got it all perfect straight away, where would be the fun in that eh? :smilegrin:

Baja Wes - December 1st, 2009 at 01:11 PM

Mine's still in the back :) I drove it in 35 degree C heat on the weekend and it was fine. The electric water pump maintained 80 deg c water temp on the highway and stop start traffic. The air con condensor at the front was having some troubles with recirculation in the stop start traffic making it a little less effective in that situation.

As for the name of this sub-forum, I called it Non-VW Engine Conversions because people kept coming in here posting about putting type 4 engines into their beetles, which is not what the forum is about. Perhaps I should have said Non-VW or non-air cooled engine conversions :D