Board Logo

Subaru Engine Conversion. Please help!!!
odnet - February 4th, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Hi Everyone. I have just purchased a Vee Dub that has had a Subaru Engine in it. It no longer has the engine but it does have the radiator in the front and a modified engine firewall. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a type of engine for me to buy to put in it. I don't really want to go very high tech. I'd just like something with more power than my VW 1600 that I am considering putting in it. I'd prefer a cheapish engine that isn't too hard to put in but still worth the effort. I am also willing to buy one from anybody who has one for sale or can point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

pete wood - February 4th, 2009 at 02:18 PM

where are you? what sort of subaru did it have in it? what model of VW is it exactly? bug? kombi? type 3?

also, post us some pics and we'll see how we can help.

odnet - February 9th, 2009 at 09:12 AM

It's a 71 Beetle. The old engine was a Turbo Leonie engine. I like to get hold of one of those is anyone has one. I'll post pics soon.

odnet - February 9th, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Oh, and it's in Mudgee NSW.

Brad - February 9th, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Turbo Leone, I am guessing it would have been an EA82T then. I would go for an EJ 22 as it will have the same power as the EA82T but will use less fuel and give longer life. It also has better power curve and are more readily availible.

Places like Custom Vee Dub - http://www.customveedub.com.au  do quite a few Subie Conversions and will have all the parts you need on the shelf.

Before you go down one path or another I would get some pictures up and work out what transmission you have and what radiator setup. Was it all working fine ? if so why did the previous owner sell it without an engine ?

Baja Wes - February 9th, 2009 at 01:23 PM

Also, do you have the adaptor plate?

rocknrob - February 9th, 2009 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Wes
Also, do you have the adaptor plate?

and if not...heheh..i'll sell you one:cool:

odnet - February 10th, 2009 at 08:18 AM

I don't have an adaptor plate. The car has a standard VW gearbox. From what I was told the guy who owned it before me had overheating issues with it. I think it may be because the radiator doesn't have a water pump to help with the water flow. I'll take pics of the engine bay tonight. Would a EA82 fit in the engine bay? It doesn't have a wider engine bay but it is longer. The firewall has been extended. Is a EJ22 the same size as a EA82? Is it really hard to install the computer? Thanks for all the advice. You guys are great.

pete wood - February 11th, 2009 at 05:26 PM

EA82 = 1800cc
EJ22 = 2200cc :tu:

computer hard to install? depends what you call hard I guess. are you any good at electrics? if not, then yes it's hard.

rocknrob - February 11th, 2009 at 06:54 PM

if you want to install a modern FI engine and do it yourself...buy one complete with ECU and harness from a frontcut or a wreck...that way the wiring just means cut,shorten and solder pretty much:tu:

odnet - February 12th, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Here is a pic of the engine bay. Will I need to widen the engine bay to fit a EJ22?

odnet - February 24th, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I can get a ej20 turbo engine cheap. Would this be too much for my gearbox. Would it even fit into my engine bay. I would really appreciate some help as I am lost.
Thanks

philsmanx - February 28th, 2009 at 07:38 AM

ea82t on egay $1000 reconditioned