Board Logo

subaru engine bracing... what is needed?
bajachris88 - February 26th, 2009 at 08:52 AM

just thoughts,

with say an ej20, 22 or 25, with the extra weight, what kind of extra 'bracing' is required? IS IT required? This will be on a baja bouncin around.

will a standard baja rear engine cage/barwork be enough bracing if it goes from the frame horns, to the shock towers, to the rear torsion tubes?

I don't want a cracked open and bent rear frame horn like the lemon i initially got ripped off with many yrs ago.

pete wood - February 26th, 2009 at 11:17 AM

engine cages don't do anything beyond stopping fingers and bumper bars from touching your motor. what you want is a proper mounts for your trans plus some triangulated members that tie your shock mounts and frame horns together like a kafer cup brace does. if you want something more permanent, you can build a cage that ties all these things in together. before you do that, buy jeff hibbards bajas and buggies book. it's the basics for that sort of stuff.

Kimbo - February 26th, 2009 at 01:03 PM

.... and even then you'll need to check the horns regularly - I've got a Nissan L20 (which in fariness is a fairly heavy lump) hooked up to a Kombi box with engine mounts, horn bracing and frame-tie-points in a space frame buggy, and the horns are still cracking around where they meet the torsion tube/pivot box. Got a feeling age and weight/stress is proving too much for them, so going to get them cut out and replaced with some thick walled tube and put in some additional bracing.

Kimbo