Board Logo

Subi Maf sensor
liam66 - March 1st, 2009 at 03:59 PM

Hi Guys, I'm fitting a 93/4 EJ20t motor. Standard computer for the foresaeble future, TD04l Turbo.
Here's the question; Will a later model removable MAf sensor work, or do I need to cut the standard one out of it's housing. Will a later model one plug straight in?

Brad - March 1st, 2009 at 04:02 PM

There are several different MAF's in teh EJ series engines. As a general rule if the plug fits it will work fine.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by Cut Out and Earlier one ?? Can you explain ?

liam66 - March 1st, 2009 at 05:21 PM

Hi Brad, the early one I have is integrated to a plastic tube that forms part of the air tract or ducting. It looks to be in pretty ordinary condition.

If possible, I've trying to have a single stainless tube from air filter to turbo, with just a silicon joiner at the turbo, as opposed to a bunch of stuffjoined together.

How would you feel about shedding some light on where all these leftover bits go? (I took this apart 12 months and many beers ago...)

Brad - March 1st, 2009 at 05:26 PM

I am still confussed, what left over bits ? The AFM is usally in a black plastic bit about 4" long with a 4 bolt flange on one end that bolts to the subi air box and the other end that has a slip joint.

I have never removed the hot wire from the this assembly as it would be sensitive to pipe ID and flow rates.

Am I right in understanding that you want to pull out the hotwire and stick it into a piece of stainless ?

I wouldn't do it as the chances of it stuffing up are pretty good and if you do and it doesn't and you have issues later on then replacing it would be a PITA.

liam66 - March 1st, 2009 at 05:35 PM

No Worries, The left over bits have nothing to do with the AFM. Just a bunch of hoses, tubes that are giving me a headache.

ratbug - March 2nd, 2009 at 07:16 PM

As Brad said, i would leave the stock AFM as is, it needs to be right, if its not you can run lean and blow up the engine. From browsing the suby forums, a lot of engine failures seem to be caused by dud AFMs. The afm you have should have a green sticker. What sort of leftover bits do you have, i'm guessing all the solenoids?