Board Logo

Radiator - at the front or in the middle?
richmurphy - April 22nd, 2010 at 04:15 PM

Hi,

I'm in the process of planning an EJ22 conversion for my 72 Superbug. I can see that a number of you have performed this mod (or similar) so I'm hoping for some advice on where to put the radiator.

The idea of moving the firewall forward is appealing because
1) I never use that space for storage
2) I wouldn't have to run cooling pipes up to the front
3) I like the way my beetle looks now and don't want to cut air vents into the front
4) My boot remains a boot.

If I decide to go down this path, is there sufficient airflow above the gearbox for a radiator?

Given I have zero welding experience, am I being a tad ambitious? Seems like there will be a decent amount of welding required with either option...

Thanks,
Richard.

ian.mezz - April 22nd, 2010 at 07:51 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/montem/1971superwrx002.jpg

ian.mezz - April 22nd, 2010 at 07:54 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/montem/1971superwrx009.jpg

pete wood - April 22nd, 2010 at 08:34 PM

front is best unless you are using the car for serious offroad. even then though, front is good. you shouldn't need to weld anything either.

under the car at the back will always be a compromise for airflow, you might get it to work ok, but why bother when you can make it work great at the front of the car.

Joel - April 22nd, 2010 at 09:04 PM

nearly everyone thats tried a rear mounted rad in a bug has ended up with a failure, except for Wes and his is probably helped by being a lifted baja without the bodywork closing the back in

lots of scoops and vents can make it work at low speeds but nearly everyone who tries it finds that it gets to a speed where the fans just cant keep up and you get overheating

in the front works best and you dont have to sacrafice boot space if your smart with rad placement

just check what Jak fits in his bug

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=82528 

richmurphy - April 22nd, 2010 at 09:09 PM

Well you've basically convinced me with one picture - thanks Ian. Is that your bug and do you have any more pics? Does it get a little warm under the bonnet?

1303Steve - April 22nd, 2010 at 09:15 PM

Hi

There is a few posts on here with people giving up on the rear radiators and going to front mounts, save yourself the grief and do it correctly the first time.

The vents in the front can very subtle if you use a air/con front apron.

You don't have to do much welding, a pop rivet gun can get you by in most cases.

Steve

Joel - April 22nd, 2010 at 09:18 PM

expanded metal isnt even noticable when its colour coded

**when you do a neat job unlike Ian** :lol:

71-BEETLE-SEDAN - April 22nd, 2010 at 09:21 PM

Those tyres look very nice joel, what are they, sorry for hi kacking.

The blue bug with the turno rexy motor from round here has the same front as you joel with a flap under neath. Looks good and doesnt stand out either, could also look into what ricola is doing with his, it looks very nice

Joel - April 22nd, 2010 at 09:27 PM

i'll have to get back to you josh, they're whatever came with the rims. fedral or falkens i think

Steve, my mesh is just glued in with roofing silicon.
didnt fall out at 170km/h so i think it;ll hold :lol:

richmurphy - April 22nd, 2010 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve
Hi

There is a few posts on here with people giving up on the rear radiators and going to front mounts, save yourself the grief and do it correctly the first time.

The vents in the front can very subtle if you use a air/con front apron.

You don't have to do much welding, a pop rivet gun can get you by in most cases.

Steve

What about the pipes from the engine to the radiator? I was planning to use copper and I know it can be bent but does it bend enough to follow the channels under the floorpan? Otherwise I guess rubber hose might be an option.

Joel - April 22nd, 2010 at 09:37 PM

pipework is the easy part
i followed the channel under the sills, there no dramatic bends and it tucks up nice and high

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/subi_conv456.jpg

i used stainless as it was way cheaper than copper and will outlast the car, but if you do go copper make sure to isolate it from the metal of the car other you can get some nasty electrolsis happening

1303Steve - April 22nd, 2010 at 09:42 PM

Hi

The factory air con grilles can be found.

They look great.

Steve

http://www.clubvw.org.au/images/scaero_pw.jpg

Joel - April 22nd, 2010 at 09:48 PM

Steve, did your numberplate block airflow infront of the grille like that?

1303Steve - April 22nd, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Hi Joel

It did, but it didn't make a lot of difference, I had bags of cooling to spare, I was trying to avoid drilling any holes in the new bumper, it was actually clamped onto the bottom edge of the bumper.

Steve

bajachris88 - April 22nd, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Marc and Kathy (midlifecrisis) had a rear mount radiator on their baja, and i have never heard of a single grief.

BUT... it is a baja. You would wanna hid it on a stock lookin bug. On a baja everything is all out to see.

richmurphy - April 23rd, 2010 at 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
pipework is the easy part
i followed the channel under the sills, there no dramatic bends and it tucks up nice and high

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/subi_conv456.jpg

i used stainless as it was way cheaper than copper and will outlast the car, but if you do go copper make sure to isolate it from the metal of the car other you can get some nasty electrolsis happening

Okay thanks for the tip Joel. Stainless would be great but the welding makes me nervous. What type of weld did you use?

mactaylor - April 23rd, 2010 at 05:10 AM

I think joel used cocky shit electrodes:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:just mucken rnd joel!

ElusiveStranger - April 23rd, 2010 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mactaylor
I think joel used cocky shit electrodes:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:just mucken rnd joel!

I think he may have used bailing wire :p

ian.mezz - April 23rd, 2010 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by richmurphy
Well you've basically convinced me with one picture - thanks Ian. Is that your bug and do you have any more pics? Does it get a little warm under the bonnet?

click on link below

Joel - April 23rd, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElusiveStranger
Quote:
Originally posted by mactaylor

I think he may have used bailing wire :p

dont forget the JBweld ;)

Richard, it was just stainless rods in the stick
dont have access to a tig anymore

pete wood - April 23rd, 2010 at 02:00 PM

the cheap way to do the piping is exhaust tubing. take the car to the exhaust shop and have them bend it up while you are there in situ.... before you convert the car ;)

rocknrob - April 23rd, 2010 at 06:26 PM

you could just about make the whole cooling out of rubber hose...theres some u-beaut stuff around these days will cope with about 1000 psi and 1000 degrees for around $20/metre:smirk:...no electrolysis
:tu

ian.mezz - April 23rd, 2010 at 07:14 PM

http://vw1302rsi.multiply.com/photos 

1303Steve - April 23rd, 2010 at 07:29 PM

Hi

You can finish the tubes off a bit shorter than Joel did and just use some rubber bends to get it to where you want it, no welding then.

What Pete said about going to an exhaust shop is good idea, in fact while the car is mobile try to get the whole front part of the car finished off.

Steve

GeorgeL - May 4th, 2010 at 04:54 AM

Just a thought, what about incorporating a radiator into a whale-tail?

Might look a bit funny, but it is a rear-mount option that would get some airflow through the radiator! No burping/bleeding issues either!

ernie norley - May 4th, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Gday all. I have started to move baja radiator to front using 32mm poly pipe. Have used it before to give extra water capacity on the baja before mounting 2nd radiator but this makes it hard to work in engine cage. So tome to move it. it will take 90lbs psi and is reasonably flexible
baja bones is using it with success so far
Ernie

Jak Rizzo - May 4th, 2010 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pete wood
the cheap way to do the piping is exhaust tubing. take the car to the exhaust shop and have them bend it up while you are there in situ.... before you convert the car ;)

thats exaclty what I did. $3.50 a metre. bargain.
Hasn't leaked in over 162'000klms.
Jak

colonel mustard - May 4th, 2010 at 05:55 PM

wouldnt you have to change coolant more often due to the quality of material?

Jak Rizzo - May 4th, 2010 at 06:59 PM

I never have. only changed small amounts when I have taken the engine out
Jak