Board Logo

EJ 22 BUG
71-BEETLE-SEDAN - May 9th, 2010 at 08:26 PM

Okay so ive been considering this for quite some time now. I am now only 20 weeks away from finishing my schooling for at least two years. I will have a full time job as of the 5th of November this year. I have got two years until i have my open liscense and can drive a turbo car. Because of this i will be using a ej22 subaru motor in my 71 bug.

I plan to get a second car to use around town and drive while my bug is off the road.

I am thinking about skipping forced induction and going straight to the laughing gas for the drag strip which it will see lots of. I have spoken to some companies about it and they are getting back to me about it.

Im planning on upgrading the rear end to eith a porsche 944 rear end or getting larger torsions sway bar etc and beefing up the frame horns like ricola has done. As well as a kafer bar within the next month anyway.

I know i will need a beefed up gear box and new diff to do this which is why im allowing 6 months to complete the car. It will also be getting some rrespraying, air con, heating and a alternator.

The back seat will be removed and replaced with the nitros bottles and a large sound system.

I willl be fixxing all rust repairs that have been done to the car. All rubber boots and wiring will be replaced and tidied.

I have also spoken to a mechanical engineer who said that he will certify it and will help me with the whole process ensuring it will be able to be road legal. A half to three quarter cage will be going in to protect passenges etc.

It will be receiving new brakes on each corner with a new fornt beam and an aftermarket pcd for some wide rims.

I know this seems out there and many will think its not gunna happen but it is. I only have 4 months of rego left so im trying to get as much done and sourced now while i dont have to buy a new car.

If anyone has any advice about where to source parts, advice or just general intrest pm me or post on here.

Cheers Josh

Joel - May 9th, 2010 at 08:58 PM

a 22 in a bug cranks with NOS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU7M1Qq1jZw 

colonel mustard - May 9th, 2010 at 09:49 PM

maybe you should get your second beetle running before doing this.

71-BEETLE-SEDAN - May 10th, 2010 at 08:01 AM

And oh yeah the motor and etc that wont be needed in the 71 anymore will be going into the 64 if it will help with anything or it will be sold.

Mum and dad are building a shed for these two cars up the back and only want me working on one at a time. So im doing minie firsst then brothers.