Board Logo

VWCOOL - December 23rd, 2004 at 04:46 PM

Take a look under the Superbeetle body at the front and compare it to the 76. They are totally different. It will be a big job - and (don't take this the wrong way) if you have to ask, you don't have the experiecne yet be able to do it

1303Steve - December 23rd, 2004 at 09:10 PM

Hi

You need to read this,

http://www.clubvw.org.au/pioneering.htm

Steve

68AutoBug - December 23rd, 2004 at 10:11 PM

if You were in South Africa it would be easy, as the "L" 1303 Beetle body was used on a swing arm, king pin Chassis with drum brakes and 5 stud wheels....
I would love to look under the front of one of those...

The Major Drama is that the front suspension on torsion bar beetle is mounted on the Chassis and is Very strong, thats why the last beetle in 1976 had torsion bar front end...

The front suspension on a Super Beetle is mounted on the body... not so strong...

They do make BAJAs out of 1303s in the US.. but there must be a kit available over there.. I believe the front suspension body points would need to be strengthened...

Remember, nothing is impossible... just a darn site Harder!!

Lee

vw54 - December 24th, 2004 at 06:13 AM

Glen Why bother ??

68AutoBug - December 24th, 2004 at 12:33 PM

One of the locals here has just put a 1965 body onto a 1976 chassis...
He likes early beetles.. and the 1976 chassis was the best made... IMHO... IRS - Disc brakes etc...

then again My 1968 semi auto has disc brakes and IRS rear end...

Lee

1303Steve - December 25th, 2004 at 09:59 PM

Hi

When you build a car with a latter chassis the car must comply later rules for rego which are a bit stricter. Lee, the balljoint front end maybe stronger in an off road situtation but I think your drawing a long bow saying its better than struts, the last German Beetles were cabrios which used struts, the Mexican bugs had a swing axle rear end, does that make the Mexican bug a better handling car?

I did over 500,000 ks with a strut bug, I only needed to replace a steering box, uni coupling and lower ball joints.

Steve