Board Logo

what are the chances of?....
Boozer - April 27th, 2006 at 08:44 PM

of getting a volksrod registered here in QLD with a beam extension like this? I don't think they're very good but i'd thought i'd ask anyway. cheers

pete wood - April 29th, 2006 at 05:57 PM

nah man, don't do it, extend the pan properly if you must, it's can't be that hard and it's be much stiff than a dodgy extention like that. There is always a good reason why engineers won't allow mods like that and it's not because they are kill joys, it's because they don't want to see nice people like you get killed. :fakesniff:

Boozer - April 29th, 2006 at 10:24 PM

fair enuf. i see your point. how would you go about extending the pan then?

greedy51 - May 1st, 2006 at 06:57 PM

take it to ya local engernear and ask

shaihulud - May 4th, 2006 at 12:01 PM

Be aware that under the new ADRs to extend a pan is the same as to shorten it. It is to modify the pan away from factory specifications. That means that for rego purposes you are building an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV) and all of the modern ADRs apply. Such as a modern non-aircooled engine etc., etc., etc.. As someone who is building an ICV I would not recommend it as something to inflict upon yourself without a lot af prior thought.

Doug Sweetman - May 4th, 2006 at 02:14 PM

Hijack warning !!!

What ICV are you building ?

kroozzn63 - May 4th, 2006 at 06:36 PM

is that from volksrods?

helbus - May 4th, 2006 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shaihulud
Be aware that under the new ADRs to extend a pan is the same as to shorten it. It is to modify the pan away from factory specifications. That means that for rego purposes you are building an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV) and all of the modern ADRs apply. Such as a modern non-aircooled engine etc., etc., etc.. As someone who is building an ICV I would not recommend it as something to inflict upon yourself without a lot af prior thought.

Are you sure? I have done a limo, and the engineer said you can extend a vehicle as much as other limiting factors allow you. Weight increase, braking, tyre load rating, ride height etc.

It is modifying the original chassis, by adding to it. But shorten it and because you are removing part of it, you have a different situation.