Board Logo

UK 9 Sec Street Beetle
SlimBoyFat - September 12th, 2007 at 06:46 AM

Hiya, This is my first post down here :)

Not sure if you guys are familiar with this car:

http://www.pbase.com/slimboyfat/image/85283848/medium.jpg

Russ Fellows's first time out in two years with a new engine (3.0L Turbo Pauter with Autocraft heads)

He drives the car the 200 mile trip to Santa Pod in the UK then runs three 10's in a row! then does a 9.996, not only that but he only MOT'd (road legal requirement) the car last Thursday :) and it is the first time out with the car, not even been dyno'd.

I'm sure its the forth street legal 'floorpan' car to run a 9 in the UK and the first to back up the time officially :)

http://www.pbase.com/slimboyfat/image/85283694/medium.jpg

Keep an eye out for it, more to come yet :)

LIFE IN THE LOW LANE - September 12th, 2007 at 06:55 AM

Man that's awesome!!! Nice effort to drive to the track and then run a 9!!

More pics please!!!!!!! And video too.....

bond - September 12th, 2007 at 07:07 AM

was the motor originally a type 4 with 911 heads, supercharged with ~340hp at the wheels?

nick

SlimBoyFat - September 12th, 2007 at 07:11 AM

There are a couple more in here:

http://www.pbase.com/slimboyfat/euro_finals_07 

I could only make one day that weekend :)

Here is a vid:

Don't blame me for the cheesy music!! lol.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3XJXyAILDSs 

SlimBoyFat - September 12th, 2007 at 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
was the motor originally a type 4 with 911 heads, supercharged with ~340hp at the wheels?

nick

Yep that was his old engine :) was Turbo charged running on Methanol on the track.

Also have to point out the 9.996 was on '98 pump gas' :)

Cam - September 12th, 2007 at 08:30 AM

Awesome!!! Congrats to all involved :tu:

I'm a huge fan of this car, not only is it a trail blazer in the HP ranks, but also stacks up some serious on road mileage.
I was at VW action last week and got to see some cool VW's going down the strip. You guys have an awesome racing and show scene in the UK with some really quick dub's and a fantastic atmosphere, shame I only caught the tail end of it really.

Cheers.

1303Steve - September 12th, 2007 at 08:32 AM

Hi

Very impressive. Is he still running the G50 box? The road rules must be a bit more lenient in the UK than down here, you would not be allowed to have a motor that big in Australia.

Steve

SlimBoyFat - September 12th, 2007 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam
Awesome!!! Congrats to all involved :tu:

I'm a huge fan of this car, not only is it a trail blazer in the HP ranks, but also stacks up some serious on road mileage.
I was at VW action last week and got to see some cool VW's going down the strip. You guys have an awesome racing and show scene in the UK with some really quick dub's and a fantastic atmosphere, shame I only caught the tail end of it really.

Cheers.

Cool :D

I was there too :D A few pics here... http://www.pbase.com/slimboyfat/vw_action_07 
What bought you to the UK? I'm over there in Oct :) doing a fair bit of the east coast, not sure I'm going to get time to sniff out any VW stuff while I'm there :)

SlimBoyFat - September 12th, 2007 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve
Hi

Very impressive. Is he still running the G50 box? The road rules must be a bit more lenient in the UK than down here, you would not be allowed to have a motor that big in Australia.

Steve

I pretty sure its a 915 box but could be wrong :)

So you mean on the road or track for the motor size? I'm sure we don't have any limits here seeing as we have 9.3L street cars doing 7.68sec quarters :crazy:

[ Edited on 11-9-2007 by SlimBoyFat ]

1303Steve - September 12th, 2007 at 09:55 AM

Hi

I meant road size motor as in legally road registered. Currently in NSW for a forced induction motor its 2.5 x stock factory weight. ie Super bug is 870 kgs from the factory, so 2.5 x 870 = 2175cc is the maximum motor size allowed.

Your correct he was using a 915 on some old data I found, I wonder if he still is?

Steve

2443TT - September 12th, 2007 at 07:11 PM

I'll bet its not a stock 915 box if it still is a 915, because they break above 300hp/300ft-lb generally. Wild bit of gear though. Shows that there really is no replacement for displacement.

It would make an interesting read to know what theyve done to that motor to make it streetable.

Cam - September 12th, 2007 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SlimBoyFat

I was there too :D A few pics here... http://www.pbase.com/slimboyfat/vw_action_07 
What bought you to the UK? I'm over there in Oct :) doing a fair bit of the east coast, not sure I'm going to get time to sniff out any VW stuff while I'm there :)

Nice pics! I have some very good friends over in this part of the world (still in London atm) both inside the aircooled scene and out, but this is the first chance I've had to take in a show.
I like to try and get over here every few years and whilst I'm at it - use it as a good excuse to get in some of mainland Europe as well. Got to do the Nurburgring this time around too, which was a blast and has become a new found addiction :cool: How about yourself, why the trek to Aus?

Quote:
Originally posted by 2443TT
It would make an interesting read to know what theyve done to that motor to make it streetable.

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=374019&page=4&pp=10 
Says 'database error' atm, but this has some 'in the works' shots and miscellanious info about the new motor... I would like to see some more info regarding the watercooled autocraft heads.

DubCrazy - September 12th, 2007 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve
Hi

Steve

no rules, just as long as it pass's its mot(roadworthy) each year your right. u can take a 54 ovel and put a v8 hanging out the back and not have to worry about upgrading brakes etc just as long its not got bits poking out etc. pretty much anything goes with in the lines of the mot which is very strict in the sence of making sure everything works no rust etc etc its great in one respect but it can offer some bloody dangerous cars/bikes .

steff...................

Flintstones - September 12th, 2007 at 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SlimBoyFat I'm sure we don't have any limits here seeing as we have 9.3L street cars doing 7.68sec quarters :crazy:

Awesome street car!!

The problem we have here in Oz is that there are too many clown's making the rules on how to stop people from modifying cars instead of assisting them, and it usually comes from a knee jerk reaction from someone that's got no idea or interest in cars.

that's my 2c rant over with.

Cheers

2443TT - September 12th, 2007 at 10:46 PM

Yeah avery car should have a 1:1 power to weight ratio hey!

SlimBoyFat - September 13th, 2007 at 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam
Quote:
Originally posted by SlimBoyFat

Nice pics! I have some very good friends over in this part of the world (still in London atm) both inside the aircooled scene and out, but this is the first chance I've had to take in a show.
I like to try and get over here every few years and whilst I'm at it - use it as a good excuse to get in some of mainland Europe as well. Got to do the Nurburgring this time around too, which was a blast and has become a new found addiction :cool: How about yourself, why the trek to Aus?

Quote:
Originally posted by 2443TT

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=374019&page=4&pp=10 
Says 'database error' atm, but this has some 'in the works' shots and miscellanious info about the new motor... I would like to see some more info regarding the watercooled autocraft heads.

Just visiting for a Holiday, my girlfriend is travel crazy so we are all over the place, only there for 2 1/2 weeks so loads to pack in, my first time but she has been before :)

I'm sure they are 910 Autocraft heads, and a jacket has been fabricated around the fins, I think Martin Taylor of TaylorMachine may have done the work but then I'm not 100%, I'm a bit rubbish remembering facts!!! and Russ is a dab hand at fabricating also. The cylinders are aircooled has normal.

I'll ask more questions next time I see him :) He isn't an 'Internet' person :)

SlimBoyFat - September 13th, 2007 at 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Flintstones
Quote:
Originally posted by SlimBoyFat I'm sure we don't have any limits here seeing as we have 9.3L street cars doing 7.68sec quarters :crazy:

Awesome street car!!

The problem we have here in Oz is that there are too many clown's making the rules on how to stop people from modifying cars instead of assisting them, and it usually comes from a knee jerk reaction from someone that's got no idea or interest in cars.

that's my 2c rant over with.

Cheers

It will probably happen here too knowing the safety police!! But I think hideous gas prices and insurance stops most people doing it i.e. the kids that are likely to kill themselves, also big engines are not common over here :)

Boostn - September 13th, 2007 at 01:00 PM

Cool car!

Thanks for sharing that with us. If that was the first time out I'm sure there is more to come.
The rules for street cars are different all over the world and even state to state.
The main thing is that he enjoys the car, rewards for his efforts and praise from all over the world.
Congrats

mid 64 - September 26th, 2007 at 09:39 PM

hey slim boy is'nt Moody on the way back from terry's beetle services with a turbo?
I remember watching those boys at santa pod in the eighties with the original nitro monster should be good for a floor pan bug if they stick to the original concept. mmmmmmm bug jam

SlimBoyFat - October 4th, 2007 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mid 64
hey slim boy is'nt Moody on the way back from terry's beetle services with a turbo?
I remember watching those boys at santa pod in the eighties with the original nitro monster should be good for a floor pan bug if they stick to the original concept. mmmmmmm bug jam

That would be a dream come true!!! but I'm not sure its going to happen.

I know the engine is sat there....

http://hpbimg.terrysbeetles.co.uk/tn_DSCF1425.JPG

and I know the car is sat there, (if a little dusty) and we keep on at Luke to do the deed :D it needs a fair bit of work to bring it up to spec I spose, along with time and effort :) I know Luke has been very busy :)

BOOMERDOG - October 15th, 2007 at 09:55 PM

yeah be good to see moody up & running again,it was ground breaking in the 80's.
i miss the heady vwdrc days....