Board Logo

WSID Wicked Wednesday 31st Oct
fullnoise - October 9th, 2007 at 11:50 AM

We didn't bother last week because of the crap weather.

This week looks good. Tomorrow night is expected to be fine!

Dave?
Nathan?
Greg?
Are you coming?

You just need to remember your rego papers and a helmet.

CT

http://www.wsid.com.au/calendar.asp 

Bizarre - October 9th, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Hmmmm....was thinking about this the other day

westi - October 9th, 2007 at 02:52 PM

i am keen i just have to put the motor together'::crazy:

vw54 - October 9th, 2007 at 05:05 PM

yeah sounds good to me

Craig Torrens - October 9th, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fullnoise
Anyone interested in participating?

I haven't been to one of these things in years but there should be 2 of us turning up for a few runs and a bit of a laugh.

http://www.wsid.com.au/calendar.asp 

Regards CT

you and who ?

GTMac - October 10th, 2007 at 09:01 AM

I might be interested to drag my knuckles around like the rest of them just for one night and continually be asked what the hell is my car?

Craig Torrens - October 10th, 2007 at 05:22 PM

hehehehe

david777 - October 18th, 2007 at 01:37 AM

I hope to be there...

fullnoise - October 19th, 2007 at 11:54 AM

There's a firm committment from drivers of the following cars:
2 x WRX powered beeltes
4 x 1914/5/6 cc powered beetles (Depending on your maths)

Definitely some 13 and 14 second cars here.

I haven't started my oval since I put it back in the garage when I arrived home from the VW Weekend in Warwick. I wonder what the difference in 1/8th mile time will be since the car will be exactly the same. Day vs night. High altitude vs close to sea level?

CT

vw54 - October 23rd, 2007 at 07:27 AM

Sorry CT i wont be able to get back in time from down the coast to make the drags this Wed night

Let me know if your going in a few weeks or B4 Xmas B U G G a RRRRRRRRRRRR

fullnoise - October 23rd, 2007 at 08:51 AM

It looks like the weather will be crap so I think next week might be the go instead.

Issued at 4:15 pm EST on Tuesday 23 October 2007

Warning summary
Nil.

Forecast for Tuesday evening
Fine. Light to moderate southeast winds.
Precis: Fine.

Forecast for Wednesday
A few showers, mostly afternoon and evening. Cloudy. Moderate south to southeast winds.
Precis: A few showers.

CT

vw54 - October 23rd, 2007 at 11:31 AM

OK thats good 4 me yes i saw a rain prediction

fullnoise - October 30th, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Tomorrow guys!

Bring it on.

CT

vw54 - October 30th, 2007 at 04:54 PM

CT ive got a bad case of the Flu and feeel like shit

I was hoping for next week to be OK buggar it

fullnoise - October 30th, 2007 at 09:55 PM

It sucks having a cold/flu in hot weather.

If you can drag yourself off your death bead Ill be there around 4:30.

I haven't heard the lovely sound of webers since the begining of the month. It was nice driving the car around tonight.

CT

david777 - October 31st, 2007 at 06:58 AM

See you tonight CT

GTMac - October 31st, 2007 at 08:03 AM

The flu has got me as well so wont even be there as spectator.

Go hard guys and please post some times.

They dont even ask for rego papers anymore but I always take them anyway. Remember to get your paper work before going over the pits (like I did) as it annoys them slightly!

fullnoise - November 1st, 2007 at 07:48 AM

Jak 13.3 @ 102MPH
CT 15.2 @ 85.9MPH
David 16.6 @?

I was a bit disappointed in my times and MPH. My launches were crap. 60ft times were either high 2.0 or low 2.1.

The MPH was 85.6 to 85.9 with 135 main 175 air. Then with 130 main 155 air it was 85.79. With 135 main and 155 air it was 85.64. So it doesn't really matter what jets I threw at the thing it still felt the same and the MPH reflects that.

The time I did in the NSW Dutton rally at WSID was 14.6 & 89 MPH with a 1.9 60ft. At that time I'd had 2 days of competition under my belt and I could launch the thing without thinking about it. The tyres were also hot then because the car had just completed some laps of the racing circuit.

Last night the car was heavier with a full tank of fuel, back seats mats and proper door trims not aluminium. So that might have slowedit down a bit.

Anyway that's a good yardstick for comparison. I'll matchport and fit the shorter angled Stan Pobjoy cast manifolds now. These things are 44mm at the top to suit 44IDFs rather than the usual universal fit 48mm aftermarket jobs. They are also a nice stright funneled design. So we'll see what the difference is at another wicked wednesday in November.

The highlight of the night was watching Jak have a run against and R34 Nissan GTR or with the big exhaust etc. Both launched hard and looked quick. Jak got him off the line and did a 13.2 and the GTR was madly trying to chase him down and did a 12.8 but Jak was first across the line and took the win. It's great to see a standard bodied beetle beat a modified GTR!

CT

reub - November 1st, 2007 at 07:55 AM

Cool to hear dude. Sounds like much fun. I did exactly the same time in my 58 last Friday with a slightly higher MPH and from memory the engines are similar spec, other than mine only running 8:1 compression. What were the weather conditions like?

What boost is Jak running? Think I'll have to step up the VWRX attack next year....:smilegrin:

Video?

fullnoise - November 1st, 2007 at 08:03 AM

Hey Ruben,

Jak just runs the stock standard boost which is about 9psi or something. He says he can turn it up with an allen key if he wants but never has. He says it is frightening enough as it is.

The weather was probably mid to high 20s.

Video? It would've run out of tape on my run! Nah we didn't bother.

CT

reub - November 1st, 2007 at 08:06 AM

Hmm ok. Interesting. Gearing would also help I'm gessing...

When I ran VWRX it did 13.09@105mph running 14lb with only 2 hrs street tuning under it's belt - and it's not scary enough... :lol: I want at least 11's out of it yet - so 20lb is on the cars.

GTMac - November 1st, 2007 at 08:54 AM

I was a bit disappointed in my times and MPH. My launches were crap. 60ft times were either high 2.0 or low 2.1.

Well done Jak and well done CT. They are still good times CT and bloody good 60ft time considering your final ET. Think of it this way, how soft must I be when running a 12.9 and a best 60ft of 2.2 :blush:

It is practice though and I only get in my car once a week and then Im still not practising launches.

Next time Im in for sure, dont want to be the lonely VW again.

david777 - November 2nd, 2007 at 12:45 AM

It was good to see CT and Jak in action. I only did a 16.6 @ 78.5mph. It was only my second time to the drags. It was more than a second quicker than last time, but still plenty of room for improvement.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e288/Myvwpics2006/th_MOV01782.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e288/Myvwpics2006/WSIDCT.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e288/Myvwpics2006/WSIDbeetle.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e288/Myvwpics2006/WSIDpologti.jpg

dangerous - November 2nd, 2007 at 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fullnoise
The MPH was 85.6 to 85.9 with 135 main 175 air. Then with 130 main 155 air it was 85.79. With 135 main and 155 air it was 85.64. So it doesn't really matter what jets I threw at the thing it still felt the same and the MPH reflects that.

Anyway that's a good yardstick for comparison. I'll matchport and fit the shorter angled Stan Pobjoy cast manifolds now. These things are 44mm at the top to suit 44IDFs rather than the usual universal fit 48mm aftermarket jobs. They are also a nice stright funneled design. So we'll see what the difference is at another wicked wednesday in November.

CT

Hi CT,
Good effort to you guys!
I'd like to see your old, and new manifolds.
I know BugPack makes some really good IDF manifolds, but I cant remember wether they are 48mm at the top.

Those changes to the air corrector were prob a bit big to see any trend.
Perhaps steps of 0.1mm may show more improvement?
What venturi?

vw54 - November 2nd, 2007 at 07:32 AM

Buggar any plans to go again B4 xmas ????

times r good Ct

fullnoise - November 2nd, 2007 at 08:11 AM

Hi Dave, Dave and er Dave,

Perhaps I should use handles instead!

david777. Nice video. Your car looks hot in the photos and in the flesh. I wish I could say I improved 6/10ths on the night.

dangerous. The vents in the 44IDFs are 36mm. I've had the car dyno tuned a couple of times. Last time I didn't give a brief to the tuners, hoping they'd come up with something different. They tried different emulsion tubes and main/air combos but ended up confirming that the out-of-the box combo of 135/175 jets in F11s is the best compromise.

Some cars pop can carry-on if the jets aren't quite right but mine doesn't seem to be too fussy. When in Warwick I choose 130/175. When supersprinting and I know the engine will get really hot I choose 135/155 otherwise I get white spark plugs.

The reason I tried a few different jets is that the car feels good but not quite as happy as it could be.

I've attached a photo of the "Big Beefy Manifolds" I'm currently using and the turbo tops I now use for freeway driving or commuting to and from work in heavy traffic. This set up richens things up and leaves a fuel mark on the bumper unless I change the jets to 125/155 where it leaves no mark and will still rev to 7000 cleanly.

vw54. I should be able to port and bung the manifolds on the mid November. So after that looks good

CT

Gracey - November 2nd, 2007 at 06:17 PM

Hey CT,

Here's a tip for you that may boost your torque and only cost you a couple of bucks and a bit of time.
Looking at your intake setup with the turbo tops, it looks like both sides are separate to one another (it may not be but from the photo it looks that way).
If they are separate from each other then you can pick up some nice torque in the mid range, just by joining them together.
You can use pvc pipe and fitting (available from your local plumbing supplier) to make it up, and then if you like it you could have it made out of alloy, although the pvc is fine the alloy would just look prettier.
Don't worry about heat affecting the pvc, if your motor got hot enough to melt the pvc then it would have to be on fire.

Andrew

fullnoise - November 2nd, 2007 at 10:07 PM

I might try the PVC. At the moment I've just got some fan housing ducts, some IDA velocity stacks and foam sock filters all held together by a couple of hose clamps. I want to keep things easy to remove so I can swap back to the normall dellorto style air filters in minutes.

The only problem is that my engine is rich at 2500 rpm due to fuel stand-off. It's just a little more obvious with the turbo tops on. But I can live with it.

Have you been down the strip lately?

CT

Craig Torrens - November 2nd, 2007 at 10:24 PM

What are the advantages with the turbo tops ?

are the "beefy' manifolds ported to your heads ?

fullnoise - November 2nd, 2007 at 10:50 PM

Hey Craig,

The only reason for the turbo tops is to reduce the carby noise on long drives and when I just want some peace and quiet. They reduce the carb noise a hell of a lot. You even start hearing the fan!

I don't think they're great for performance and almost ran them down the strip last wednesday night but we were about 3 minutes too late. My bet is that they slow the car by half a second in the quarter.

The big beefy manifolds were ported by DRD and I got them at the same time as the heads. They may be responsible for a great improvement in torque over the last combo but I'll find out when I put the small manifolds back on.

CT