Board Logo

Con me out of supercharging my 1916
fullnoise - October 28th, 2007 at 10:13 AM

A friend of mine who did the bodywork on my Oval is upgrading the supercharger his V6 Calais just to be different.

+ 1 - He says he can get an Eaton supercharger for about $1800. He recons we'd get a cross-ram manifold from a Torana and run 2 side draft 45mm carbs. He can TIG-weld aluminium and has offered to do as much welding as I want to get manifolds and brackets working.

+2 He suggests mocking it up on another car first and I just happen to have a '54 waiting for a resto and a spare complete 1600.

+3 The plan is to run a conservative 5 or 6 psi boost on my 100 RWHP 1916 as it is or maybe add some spacers or a head gasket to reduce the 9.6:1 compression ratio a bit.

+4 The ports on my head are small enough to adapt to the factory DP manifold end castings. From there we may adapt some aftermarket single carb manifold to the blower.

-1 At this stage I worry that there wouldn't be enough room for dual pulleys for the fan and supercharger in the tight oval engine bay.

In the cold light of day this is probably a stupid thing to do to what is a pretty reliable combination. Please help con me out of it.

CT

reub - October 28th, 2007 at 10:21 AM

Go for it dude.... Considered doing something similar to mine ;)

11CAB - October 28th, 2007 at 10:41 AM

Yeah supercharge that sucker.....:lol:

Craig Torrens - October 28th, 2007 at 10:43 AM

yeah come join the club :D

1303Steve - October 28th, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Hi CT

Not a bad idea. Twin Webber's? Better of with EFI as it will control fuel and spark much better to help the motor live. Turbo charging is a much better solution but requires a bit more commitment.

Steve

Joel - October 28th, 2007 at 11:45 AM

with my new found love of blowers i say go for it :cool:

-joel

LIFE IN THE LOW LANE - October 28th, 2007 at 02:26 PM

definately go to EFI as it will give you heaps more room to play with. Injector bosses welded into the twin port manifolds right down near the ports then mount the blower where the dizzy would sit.That way you can run one belt with a tensioner type set up. Run individual coil packs and a sensor set up on the crank pulley and your in business. Grab a throttle body from the wreckers off a late model Honda and if your mate can do all the welding and fabrication then that's a big step in the right direction.

The only problem I can see is the room. Might need to massage the boot lid a little.....

Gracey - October 28th, 2007 at 02:33 PM

I say go for it!

For starters keep it a simple draw through system with carb and maybe water injection, this setup alone may be enough to surprise and thrill you.

Flintstones - October 28th, 2007 at 08:02 PM

Don't know what you've got to think about, sounds great.
Especially since your mate can tig weld, go for it!!:)

Cheers

Cam - October 28th, 2007 at 09:14 PM

Nope, I won't be talking you out of it dude. You should check out the yahoo club for supercharged VW's. From memory its just called "blownbugs" searching should bring it up pretty easily.
The side drafts sound like they would look awesome, though I would go with webber style throttle bodies to get the looks and still be able to run EFI.

justbrett - October 28th, 2007 at 09:44 PM

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blownbugs :tu:

fullnoise - October 29th, 2007 at 09:31 AM

To me old-school webers (Or is that ye-old webers Cam?) are as important as the VW badge. I understand the superior performance and economy of fool injection but I love brass jets. The closest thing to a computer that will ever be bolted in to my car is the MSD 6AL.

Some enthusiasts like to re-engineer as many components as possible because modifying stuff is fun. But I want to keep things pretty simple.

Can I get a flatter dizzy cap that sends the leads out horizontally rather than vertically?

Do all these supercharges need long snouts to mount the pulley on or can that be shortened?

Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming.

The Bigfella - October 29th, 2007 at 10:24 AM

I don't see any reason why the snout length can't be modified - provided you don't stuff up the balance of the rotating mass. The Detroit blowers on my boat have no snout at all - and are gear driven.

LIFE IN THE LOW LANE - October 29th, 2007 at 06:13 PM

Commondores only have the snout so that the pulley line up with the rest of the engine pulleys due to Holden's placement of the blower on the V6. Yes it can be changed. Not 100% sure but you may be able to even buy shorter ones but I could be wrong. (doesn't happen very often lol)

2443TT - October 29th, 2007 at 11:14 PM

A 0.060" head gasket will drop the CR to 8.2:1 which would be safe for considerable boost. I love my EFI and computer engine management, but am inclined to agree with Gracey in that keeping it simple for your first attempt. Then once you get a feel for it, go hard core on it!

I had a thought about using a toyota blower as a draw through EFI blower on Reub's 1916. If I were to do it i'd replace first remove the distributor and run a twin coil waste spark crank triggered ignition. This would allow the blower to be mounted a lot lower to the block. Then the output of the blower would go through a charge cooler that would be mounted on the parcel shelf. This would mean making 3" holes through the fan shoud to run 2" pressure piping through(allowing for engine movement etc, or convert to porsche cooling). Run a small radiator mounted on the front beam and thats more or less it.

7lb would be safe on a 8.2:1 CR 1916, and would make around 150-160hp easily. At 7lb and above id be wanting water injection or charge cooling, and engine management capable of retarding the igniton based on boost. With charge cooling 14lb not a problem, and expect over 200rwhp. Thats provided your engine revs to around 7ish. Considering the CR im assuming it does.

Have you noticed that nobody is talking you out of this ! Seems we are all a bunch of petrol heads :smilegrin:

Euro_67 - October 30th, 2007 at 06:38 AM

I know ther is plenty of debate about the benefits of centrifugal vs roots superchargers. The centrifugal is smaller so might fit better between the fan housing and crank pulley.

http://www.raptorsc.com.au/products.php 

2443TT - October 30th, 2007 at 06:59 AM

Try and find a centrifugal thats even close to being small enough to run on a vw engine. They are generally all for V8's. The smallest are for engines around the 4lt mark, so some 6's. I guess it has something to do with the load of the gear up systems that drive the turbines.

Euro_67 - October 30th, 2007 at 07:33 AM

Vic based retailer of 4 cyl sized roots type superchargers.

http://www.hi-flow.com/HP7Super.htm 

dangerous - October 30th, 2007 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Euro_67
Vic based retailer of 4 cyl sized roots type superchargers.

http://www.hi-flow.com/HP7Super.htm 

Those are Autorotor screw type superchargers.
Nice units made in Sweden.
I had two of the 3150 units on my engine running at 53% faster than engine speed.

They are a bit pricey,
although if they are sold based on the US dollar
they may be cheaper than what I payed some 10 years ago.

VWFREAK - October 30th, 2007 at 08:43 AM

DON'T DO IT!

I'm lying blow the sucker.
I've toyed with a similar combo for a few years now, but heat has always been my concern, especially when I liven in Darwin.

Have fun.

westi - October 30th, 2007 at 04:03 PM

i have an eaton sitting here waiting to be used ,it's the one of the merc's.it eat's and shit's form the top.so it might be better than the m45.
you are welcome to come have a look if you want.

Joel - October 30th, 2007 at 09:56 PM

ive seen a 2110 in an oval with a m45 on it
ill dig around and see if i can find the pics
it had the snout removed too

im looking at setting up a water injection system on mine once its back on my 1776
but eventually itll be EFId with megasquirt

-Joel

fullnoise - October 30th, 2007 at 10:06 PM

I'd love to see pictures of somebody else's effort.

My first shots are likely to be uninspiring. Think rusty '54 oval, a grotty 1600 and bits of cardboard with duct tape!

Nobody has been able to convince me not to do it yet! But it would be difficult to get it up and running for under $4000 all up. But you could see some IDAs and porsche Fuchs on ebay when I get serious.

Re: The eaton that eats and shits from the top :lol: I might just have to see that after work one day.

CT

westi - October 30th, 2007 at 11:37 PM

any time .we are always open

pete wood - November 14th, 2007 at 03:42 PM

as arnie says

http://www.thechiefsource.com/hello/106/1266/480/Arnold.jpg

DOO IT!!! :yes:

fullnoise - November 14th, 2007 at 08:09 PM

I stumbled across DUB74L aka Joel's post on the super charger he fitted to his engine. I wish I could find a link to it because its much better than this post. Nice work Joel.

I doubt I'll be playing with a super charger for a while. I've got an engine rebuild and the Portland Drags, BugIn and a Dutton Rally to prepare for.

The cogs will be turning in the back of my mind though; or are they gilmer drive pulleys?

CT

humpty - November 16th, 2007 at 06:15 PM

Been thinking about this myself.... Might be selling all that turbo gear I have sitting about.... But I need more convincing... I even have a short snout M45 EATON sitting here... Hmmmm

1303Steve - November 16th, 2007 at 10:25 PM

Hi

Humpty, turbos rule, superchargers suck, stick with your turbo.

Steve

reub - November 16th, 2007 at 10:58 PM

....or go subaru :yes:

humpty - November 17th, 2007 at 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by reub-revhead
....or go subaru :yes:

Yeah... Already have two of those Reub!!!....

And don't worry Steve.... I'm not convinced.... The EATON does work nice on my mates WBX LBug, but I think the 'Woolongong Way' is looking like the best trip for my stroker....