Board Logo

Best sticky drag/ street tyres
Turbo54 - November 6th, 2007 at 09:04 PM

HI All,
Just want to know what some of you are running. I am looking at the mickey Thompsons at the moment as they are meant to be great for both but I dont know much about M&H or Hoosiers. The rim size is 8" wide and I am thinking around 26" tall.
The car isn't going to be driven daily but most of the kms will be on the street with occasional drag... any info, experience or comparisons would be great.
Thanks
T54

hypo-vw - November 7th, 2007 at 01:10 AM

I use the M&H sportsman series street/strip tyres on the rear of my turbo oval . They are 215's and are fitted on 5.5" BRM's .
They are giving me very good wear as I do give them a hard time . I am currently running 335bhp through them and with the correct tyre pressures give great grip also . I
I have run a fastest ET of 10.49 secs and a quickest mph of 131.5 on these tyres . I hope to lower this next wednesday night at WSID .
To me , these are highly recommended .

dangerous - November 7th, 2007 at 07:08 AM

The M&H seems to be the one that fits the best under stock guards.
If you are only racing every now and again, I would choose a 205/70 radial
and then change them over for racing day.
You may be able to afford to replace them often however.

How many kms have yours lasted Wayne?
Perhaps they are a harder compound that their full slick version.

Turbo54 - November 7th, 2007 at 09:17 AM

I am running 2" wider rear gurads and 8" rear tyres cause I like the look not for anything else. I was thinking radials so there not so wobbly on the street. been recommended 235x60x15. Are the M&H a radial as they are from the sportsman series?
T54

dangerous - November 7th, 2007 at 09:32 AM

M&H are not a radial. Really just a slick with 3 tread grooves.
You want the Mikey Thompson drag radials.

LIFE IN THE LOW LANE - November 7th, 2007 at 06:26 PM

BF Goodrich also do drag radials. You could also look at the Toyo R888's or T1R's.

Boostn - November 8th, 2007 at 12:45 PM

I have not used the MT street radial but have only heard good things.
Apparently they 60ft very well, even compared to the slick.

I am not sure if M&H make a radial? Just a grooved slick that they call street.

hypo-vw - November 9th, 2007 at 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dangerous

How many kms have yours lasted Wayne?
Perhaps they are a harder compound that their full slick version.

Hi Dave , I have done approximately 350 miles on the M&H tyres and they have been all hard miles . There is still a fair bit of tread left on them and they have retained their adhesion properties .
Most of the drives have been test flights , dyno sessions or runs down the strip . I cant travel very far in the oval with the new heads on it as there is very little cooling fin left and the heads will get too hot . So I havent done many miles in the oval this year . Prior to fitting these heads I would drive it regularly to and from work .