Board Logo

berg engine support
Sick68VW - June 2nd, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Anyone used one before or had good feedback from these ive got one lying around and throught i would mount it up and see how it goes the car is a street car / odd drag races here and there..

vw54 - June 2nd, 2008 at 01:49 PM

is that the one that bolts to the gear housing and you weld a couple of supports to the gearbox forks

or the one that goes across the back of engine and suspends of the inner guard like this

vw54 - June 2nd, 2008 at 01:50 PM

vw54 - June 2nd, 2008 at 01:50 PM

VWCOOL - June 2nd, 2008 at 04:03 PM

yeah it works,

There are better ways of stabilising the engine, but that is the 'easiest'

1303Steve - June 2nd, 2008 at 04:28 PM

Hi

I saw whole lot of these at the hardware store the other day, you just needed to cut them to length.

Steve

Sick68VW - June 2nd, 2008 at 05:08 PM

Thats the one im talking about...

vw54 - June 2nd, 2008 at 05:47 PM

yes well they work good you can notice the difference even when corning

LIFE IN THE LOW LANE - June 2nd, 2008 at 06:12 PM

Vintage sell them Dave??

hellbugged - June 2nd, 2008 at 06:39 PM

yep. helped with my engine/axle hop.........

matberry - June 2nd, 2008 at 07:09 PM

Called an engine traction bar.
As opposed to a berg front transmission mount.

[Damone insert photo here]

:lol:

colin - June 2nd, 2008 at 07:47 PM

I have one under my car and it,s been there for about 9years now.

The car did around 15k miles before i used it Hillclimbs only. You can easily make your own and i recommend them.

I also run a Berg style tranny mount also good gear.

Cheers Col

westi - June 2nd, 2008 at 09:23 PM

never used one myself never had the need for it with solid mounts.
how's your heads going

fullnoise - June 2nd, 2008 at 09:36 PM

I had one. But it got ripped off by a bump on the old Pacific Highway near Gosford.

The road had sunk into a large dip allowing the suspension to really compress and then bang, the bar ripped right off. I still can't quite figure out how the bar got to ground level.

It turned out to be the exact spot that collapsed about 12 months ago sadly killing a family in a Ford Falcon. RIP.

I haven't fitted one since, but I don't do big wheel spins off the line so the car doesn't tramp and I don't really need one.

CT

trickysimon - June 2nd, 2008 at 09:43 PM

Sorry to highjack but could somebody explain to me what tramp is? (not that sort :lol:)

Simon

hellbugged - June 2nd, 2008 at 09:47 PM

when you do a hard, drag style take off/start and the entire driveline (box and engine) shudders up and down.

westi - June 2nd, 2008 at 09:54 PM

it's like a bunch of teenage boys at a brothel,lots of banging,not something you want to hear in the back seat of your car.

trickysimon - June 2nd, 2008 at 09:59 PM

Can u get this on a standard beetle or only high powered?

Simon

VWCOOL - June 2nd, 2008 at 10:03 PM

fit it to a standard one if you like, but the bar is installed to fix a problem... iif there's no tramp, then it's not needed

fullnoise, yes I have torn mine off once or twice, too. It happens if you get airborne ;)

punchbuggyracer - June 3rd, 2008 at 12:20 PM

I've got the berg style front mount and I still get axle tramp bad even in the wet accidently spinning the wheels, are kafer bars the proper fix?

Sick68VW - June 3rd, 2008 at 05:56 PM

hey westi the cars almost done got heaps done since the last time you saw it i ordered some signuture series heads off steve tims there supsose to be the muts nuts they cost a pretty penny.

fullnoise - June 3rd, 2008 at 06:18 PM

Valentino, WTF do you need new heads for? Your engine was making decent horsepower with the berg heads! Quietly, have you still got the berg heads?

Regards CT

Mick058 - June 3rd, 2008 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by punchbuggyracer
I've got the berg style front mount and I still get axle tramp bad even in the wet accidently spinning the wheels, are kafer bars the proper fix?

Interested in the answer to this...any advice?

matberry - June 3rd, 2008 at 09:53 PM

IMO

I reckon the problem with a tracion bar is that they can fatigue the body in the rear, and any idea of a removable apron and there certainly isn't enough strength in the body.

The kafer cup bars are mechanically only so good also. They are an improvement over stock, but trans hop, chassis flex, can still occur.

I would run a form of both or preferably a minimum of rear cage that pick's up the rear forks if ya gunna get serious.

Of course things like torsion bushes, shock bushes and body mounts need to be in good nick too and tight !!

hellbugged - June 3rd, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick058
Quote:
Originally posted by punchbuggyracer

Interested in the answer to this...any advice?

easy!........ still got 100kg of engine flapping on the end of the flexing forks.........even if they are tied together with the front mount.

rear traction bar should be wound up to actually preload engine (upwards say 20mm).

now you have support at nose of gearbox, mid of gearbox, rear od box AND at rear of engine.......EVEN SUPPORT all the way thru help those forks hold steady:!:

....but i'm with Matt and agree support of the forks is paramount..........stich weleded + kafer bars better again, rear cage stiffer still

of course sometimes us mere mortals forget to mention the basics, engine mounts, torsion bar rubbers, shockies and their eyes, spring rates etc as the business man Matt has pointed out soooo many times before. you sound like Jeff!

matberry - June 3rd, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Jeff sounds like me!!!
:dork:.......................................The barstard

:lol::lol::lol:

hellbugged - June 3rd, 2008 at 11:00 PM

yeah, you both just sound like pros .............no use modifying on something on which all the standard gear is stuffed.

goodnight!

Sick68VW - June 4th, 2008 at 12:40 PM

ct i pulled the motor down for a check up and to do a coulpe of things
e.g raise the comp
spot face the case for 15mm washers and nuts
i got the heads cc'd because i have never checked them
and cause i wanted to raise the comp up i wanted to make sure eveything was right .after cc the heads i found a very big diffrence in all the cylinders 1 was 47cc
2 was 50cc 3 was 51 4 was 45cc so the comp was diffrent on all cylinders and the berg heads are very old there from the 80s so they need a lot of work to bring them back up to spec the steve tims heads are suppose to be really good ..

punchbuggyracer - June 4th, 2008 at 01:01 PM

Yes I have the new engine mounts Poly ones, with a stronger cradle and berg style front mount. I think I'll need to replace the torssion rubbers and trailing arm rubbers before I do the kafer and what not.

Cheers

westi - June 4th, 2008 at 06:02 PM

still got you wheels and shit down here big fella.
pickup would be nice