Board Logo

Rims??? What about This?
Iwish4aSynchro - September 10th, 2006 at 10:15 PM

Hey people i have been looking for a decent set of rims for my t3 caravelle . The below are 17"x7.5 with a 5x112, exactly what is needed.

I understand the legalities to the point of Wheel Track, I will obtain the engineers cert if needed, I understand i can legally go up 1" all round and stay safely legally. But the wheel track is confusing when all other info is factored like offset and wall percentage etc. if anyone has the same kind of experience that would be helpful.

[ Edited on 10-9-2006 by Iwish4aSynchro ]

vwtyp2 - September 11th, 2006 at 02:53 PM

you are allowed up to 2" larger than the car was originally available with.
you will also need to consider load rating of the rims.

when you buy your rims, you'll also need to look at the centre bore.
I needed to take 5mm out of the centre of my Passat rims to fit on my T3.

VWCOOL - September 11th, 2006 at 03:15 PM

My CoP states 1-inch diamter and 10inch wider track, not 2

Iwish4aSynchro - September 11th, 2006 at 03:26 PM

The offset is 40 offset meaning wheel stud? CoP? 10 inch wider, struth thats a hell of alot of rubber for a rim that is only allowed to be 1inch larger. Standard is 195/75 R14 steel rim rating j rating i think. So really legally i can only go to a 205/55 R16 sounds about right? Being that other models of T3 have 15 inch rims what does this mean or does this help me in any way.

Bizarre - September 11th, 2006 at 04:16 PM

In NSW you are comparing to your model only.

in Vic it is the model series.

eg. In Vic a standard Commodore with 16" rims can leagally put 19" HSV rims on.
In NSW you cant

I have the link some where - will dig it out with a bit more time

greedy53 - September 11th, 2006 at 06:24 PM

i tryed to fit something liike them on mt t3 caravel rear was ok but front fouled on springs and there was no way to get around it so i went to a narrower rim
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g104/greedy53/tn_buswithfullfrontskirt.jpg

kombi kountry - September 11th, 2006 at 07:11 PM

i think this is what you guys are after (those of you in NSW)

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_dl1.html 

In particular VSI09

let me know if it doesn't work.

some interesting things on window tinting and engine conversions in the index as well.

p.s. i believe the standard T3 caravelle/transporter wheel/tyre in Oz is a 14 inch 185mm wide. Not quite sure of the aspect ratio (it'd be quite large), but i think it's basically the same as all the other main commercial vans use i.e. 185/14C.

I've heard that some overseas models came with a 205mm wide tyre, but don't think the NSW RTA would take this into consideration when you upsize your rims/tyres.

VWFREAK - September 11th, 2006 at 07:56 PM

nice rims

greedy53 - September 11th, 2006 at 08:29 PM

wheel ofset calculations hope it helps
http://www.customspeedparts.de/content/en/technic/felgentechnik.php 

Iwish4aSynchro - September 11th, 2006 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greedy53
i tryed to fit something liike them on mt t3 caravel rear was ok but front fouled on springs and there was no way to get around it so i went to a narrower rim
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g104/greedy53/tn_buswithfullfrontskirt.jpg

So r u saying i would be smarter to look at a 6.5" rim and tyre package eg 16x6.5, rubber still be a 205/55 or 60 profile wall. That still doesn't explain the rim loading, a rim rating of j is something equal to in speed of 100 i think this is correct. Will check out links.

greedy53 - September 11th, 2006 at 08:49 PM

yes the ones on my caravel are 6;5 wide and ofset of 35mm and being a caravel i'm told by my rego guy that car tyers are ok

Iwish4aSynchro - September 11th, 2006 at 09:17 PM

Greedy i thought your rims were a 17" and now it is a 17Rx605 odd rim tyre combo. According to RTA after further reading i can legally go 25mm wider and here is wher it gets tricky, Outside daimeter of rim tyre can be no more than 15mm above the maximum allowable tyre rim combo stated on the tyre placard. I think this almost gets me my 17x 7.5 with a 205/55 or 50 profile rubber onboard without the engineers cert.

Iwish4aSynchro - September 11th, 2006 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kombi kountry
i think this is what you guys are after (those of you in NSW)

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_dl1.html 

In particular VSI09

let me know if it doesn't work.

some interesting things on window tinting and engine conversions in the index as well.

p.s. i believe the standard T3 caravelle/transporter wheel/tyre in Oz is a 14 inch 185mm wide. Not quite sure of the aspect ratio (it'd be quite large), but i think it's basically the same as all the other main commercial vans use i.e. 185/14C.

I've heard that some overseas models came with a 205mm wide tyre, but don't think the NSW RTA would take this into consideration when you upsize your rims/tyres.

This is all correct as it would be, but in the vehicle hanbook tyre/rim specs it states that you can fit a 205/70 and this being the maximum you can fit on a stanard rim 14" i think i can almost get my rims. I only have to match the tyre rim overall diameter and be within 15 mm either way (+or-) of the maximum tyre rim size something like a 17x7.5 and a 205/55 tyre, this almost sounds do-able.

Iwish4aSynchro - September 11th, 2006 at 10:11 PM

ok what about this? Where has everybody gone? these ar a 16x7 at the smaller end of the scale or do i have the same problem again?

greedy53 - September 11th, 2006 at 10:26 PM

yep they would be better the reason i went the older style my mate murray has 16 and they were forever rubbing up in the wheelwells
so i learnt and went 14 x 6.5 all legal and no rubbing and with a van full of people i have never rubbed and my van is lowered 50mm i reacon 15 x 6.5 would be my limit with the drop but i'm happy with what i got the rims are ford and i drill the holes bto 17.5 mm do the maths kombi are 112rcd ford are 114.3 by going 17.5 with 14 mm bolts there is plenty of room for the taped to center the rim i have been doing this for 5 years with no problems

Iwish4aSynchro - September 11th, 2006 at 11:21 PM

Will get back to you tomorrow, i ve had it see ya

malcolm - September 12th, 2006 at 02:33 AM

in VIc its 15mm + or - of the overall tyre diameter fitted to the orignal car .rim width is 25mm wider than the orignal wheels .
you can fit different size rims on the car as well just like chrysler do and porsche .

kombi kountry - September 12th, 2006 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
This is all correct as it would be, but in the vehicle hanbook tyre/rim specs it states that you can fit a 205/70 and this being the maximum you can fit on a stanard rim 14" i think i can almost get my rims. I only have to match the tyre rim overall diameter and be within 15 mm either way (+or-) of the maximum tyre rim size something like a 17x7.5 and a 205/55 tyre, this almost sounds do-able.

i'm not sure a 205 tyre would be suited to a 7.5 rim. from what i've read a 205 is more suited to a 6.5 or up to 7.0 rim.

check this link:

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/  and click on the excel spreadsheet. keep in mind it's a North American site so the guys T3 standard rims & tyres are larger than ours over here.

Iwish4aSynchro - September 12th, 2006 at 04:29 PM

The handbook states that the 205/70rubber is a 6J rating on a 14" rim and yes i still think this is overkill on a t3, a 205/70 on a 14" rim is scary, but if the handbook states that this is the maximum rubber/rim then i should be able to match it in overall size to something nice like the 16x7" abov. If i just went and got the engineers cert i can add anything up to 10 inchers of rubber, this way works on weight or GVM of the vechicle. A few of the local tyre mobs are not sure about what i can fit, hence the discussion. I think i am getting somewhere???

[ Edited on 12-9-2006 by Iwish4aSynchro ]

greedy53 - September 12th, 2006 at 07:26 PM

well to be truthful i have never had any trouble with rego or insuyrance as long as i tell i nsurance what i did
and i dont go mad with the wheel width when i had my 71 bay with 17's fitted shaons insurance had the wheels on the policey along with the supercharger and they inspected the bus so i could get the cover i wanted
the world is a strange place

Iwish4aSynchro - September 12th, 2006 at 08:38 PM

First thoughts" stuff me a supercharger". Youre right i am only trying to do this because of the insurance and also because i dont really want the fine from the Police & RTA if it is not legal. So worst case scenario i get the engineers cert. A 71 bay with 17s got any pics, must look the part and sound the goods. I would assume that a set of 16x7's or a set of 17x7's would not be too far out there. I am not going to lower the car as the body kit will take off this by way of illusion. I am hoping to have this all done by mid yr 07, providing the missus leaves it parked long enough in one spot. Cheers for all the info gang.

mscabrio - September 12th, 2006 at 08:43 PM

The bigger the better is the way to go !

Menangler - September 12th, 2006 at 08:58 PM

Can't beat the T3 factory alloys, correct offset and load rating for a van.

Just a shame they don't come in 15's

[ Edited on 12-9-2006 by Menangler ]

Iwish4aSynchro - September 12th, 2006 at 09:04 PM

I dont know about the bling of alloys, the sparkle of polished alloy would work either that or chrome, the chrome being stronger and better quality. But still all the same i am trying to get away from the 14 inch rim better ride on anything above 15", yeh?

Iwish4aSynchro - September 12th, 2006 at 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Menangler
Can't beat the T3 factory alloys, correct offset and load rating for a van.

Just a shame they don't come in 15's

[ Edited on 12-9-2006 by Menangler ]

So i gather these are only 14"? Is the dually a syncro? I have seen one(syncro) on the samba.com for 5200GBP about 12500AUS original factory version 16" with dual diff lockers and factory RHD. I will one day have one. Until then i am trying to get my first project completed. Sorry bloke getting off track.

Iwish4aSynchro - September 12th, 2006 at 10:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by kombi kountry

i'm not sure a 205 tyre would be suited to a 7.5 rim. from what i've read a 205 is more suited to a 6.5 or up to 7.0 rim.

check this link:

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/  and click on the excel spreadsheet. keep in mind it's a North American site so the guys T3 standard rims & tyres are larger than ours over here.

Wondering why i would be directed to a link for the vanagon restoration for the complete idiot, what u tryin to say?

Did u bite?

After much reading i have decided to go with something in a 16", but you know what happens here money, as it is not an overly common size of rim/tyre, it's gonna cost. Very helpful link, but you could have sifted through it for me, man do my eyes hurt. See ya and thanks

greedy53 - September 13th, 2006 at 02:11 PM

with my 17's on the bay they were the same diameter using low profile tyers as the origional youb could stand them side by side and the heights were the same
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g104/greedy53/fatso.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g104/greedy53/blowerpainted.jpg

greedy53 - September 13th, 2006 at 02:19 PM

one more
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g104/greedy53/HQ41.jpg

Iwish4aSynchro - September 13th, 2006 at 09:20 PM

Sweet ride and thats some bling on the ol girl, definently chrome yeh, just spent the best part of the day re-wiring the stereo as the previous owner well lets just say he didnt do me any favours, still gotta rewire the amp and add another two sets of speakers before it's the way i want, i wonder do people think before doing in the big smoke(Sydney car).

greedy53 - September 13th, 2006 at 09:42 PM

no takes the excitement out of it just love that first twist of the on switch the smofe sparks what a joy and memories like an adventure without going anywhere