Board Logo

WTB Beetle collapsible steering column
that-boy-berg - May 31st, 2017 at 04:08 PM

Hi fellas, enjoying my beach buggy build until I'm told I need a Collapsible Steering Column with steering lock. I have a 1968 beetle pan but suspect other components may be earlier/later.
I was hoping someone has a steering column or aftermarket advice.
cheers

grumble - May 31st, 2017 at 08:06 PM

I should have a collapsible column from a 1973 type 3 with locks,switches etc. PM if interested

that-boy-berg - May 31st, 2017 at 09:14 PM

I can't seem to PM due to access level. If I could get a picture of the column I can check to see if I think it will fit.
Cheers

mossman - May 31st, 2017 at 10:12 PM

One in Brisbane

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/grange/other-parts-accessories/vw-beetle-baja...

that-boy-berg - June 1st, 2017 at 09:49 AM

That one is sold, anyone else have one, or ideas of an alternative? Do any of the aftermarket Hodrod Columns fit early beetles?

grumble - June 2nd, 2017 at 08:44 AM

PM sent today.

68AutoBug - June 2nd, 2017 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by that-boy-berg
Hi fellas, enjoying my beach buggy build until I'm told I need a Collapsible Steering Column with steering lock. I have a 1968 beetle pan but suspect other components may be earlier/later.
I was hoping someone has a steering column or aftermarket advice.
cheers

All standard [not super] beetles had them from 1968> in Australia.
there should be heaps about as every 68> beetle wrecked [and there has been heaps] would have had one...
I presume they weren't considered worth saving, years ago.... and most people didn't try to fit one to an earlier model... I believe they ALL had the cutouts for a steering lock type ignition, which was standard in some countries. The ignition switch is the same as the locking type, the locking mechanism was just left out of the non locking ones... lol

LEE

PS: ALL beetles etc should have the collapsible steering column shaft...
The collapsible steering wheel is another good level of safety...
The late type 3 collapsible steering wheel will fit a beetle. I have always used them even back in the early 70s..

LEE

68AutoBug - June 2nd, 2017 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by that-boy-berg
I can't seem to PM due to access level. If I could get a picture of the column I can check to see if I think it will fit.
Cheers

If You have a VW steering box and shaft connection plus a bearing and the top of the shaft housing etc and splines at the top of the shaft then it should fit OK as I know many people have fitted the 1968< shaft to 60's model beetles.

I'll see if i can find measurements for you as i did measure one a few years ago.. hopefully I can find the measurements in a manual.
I have pics too but can't find them at the moment... too many pics on the computer..

LEE