Board Logo

EOI: Front Beam Supports/Stiffeners for Beetles
Craig Torrens - October 12th, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Well I have decided I will make some front beam stiffeners to suit beetles. These will be machined aluminium like the K bar kits and will be bolt up, providing strength to the front beam during hard cornering and braking.

Anyone interested at this early stage ?

don't know costs yet, but should have some idea over the next couple of weeks.

Post here if you're interested.

Cheers
Craigt

hellbugged - October 12th, 2008 at 12:21 PM

will they support both upper and lower housings?..........i'd prefer it that way myself

i've got some spare originals from South Africa if you need something to work off

they'd have top be super stiff, light and not too exy to get my $$ as i already have some on the car, sorry

Craig Torrens - October 12th, 2008 at 12:53 PM

yeah i have some Country Buggy ones that were on my hillclimb car..............but they are heavy in comparison to what i want to do.

Re upper and lower supporting............probably only lower support, but will look at doing upper as well.

hellbugged - October 12th, 2008 at 01:17 PM

the ones you have support both tubes?..............mine do if you want to work off them.

you know the story Craig, no drama, happy to help if i can

Craig Torrens - October 12th, 2008 at 01:23 PM

Cheers, the ones i have only support the lower tube.

Looking at using bars similar to the short ones in the K bar kit.....so they will be adjustable.

hellbugged - October 12th, 2008 at 01:27 PM

ok, sounds interesting.........

matberry - October 12th, 2008 at 03:27 PM

I reckon you need to suport both tubes ( ka'ching 2c ):tu:

bond - October 12th, 2008 at 03:54 PM

are they for k/l or just bj?

standard of 2" 4" narrowed if able - or is this part of being adjustable?

interested

nick

1303Steve - October 12th, 2008 at 04:23 PM

Will these fit a superbug:rolleyes:

Craig Torrens - October 12th, 2008 at 05:01 PM

will fit K&L as well as balljoint....................and will also fit a superbug, mounted on the roof :D

mactaylor - October 12th, 2008 at 05:30 PM

a fabbed plate with speed holes and a few breaks down its length would work pretty well with a rose or clevis joint at the two bolt chassis joint, just need to keep it in double shear and not in bending. also prob needs a triangulation back to the frame head if there is enough room from the two bolt mount. just my 2 cents.

Sides - October 12th, 2008 at 05:33 PM

Yeah, I'd be interested I reckon Craig.

fish26 - October 12th, 2008 at 11:02 PM

"will fit K&L as well as balljoint....................and will also fit a superbug, mounted on the roof :D"

You're too funny Craig

Brad - October 13th, 2008 at 12:40 AM

if you are going to make them for BJ and do more than one tube you will run into issues with the Steering box and pitman arm. One beam would be easier as you don't have to allow for this.

On the K&L it isn;t an issue as they have a different steering stop setup and position to the BJ ones.