Board Logo

bottom end
greedy53 - August 16th, 2009 at 04:15 PM

hellow campers i am in need of a 1600 bottom end as mine has had a major heart attack,the rest is ok dam near new by the look of it ,the end came for this one via a rag in the fan.:crazy::crazy::fakesniff:

grumble - August 16th, 2009 at 09:05 PM

A rag in the fan should cook the pistons not the bottom end?

matberry - August 16th, 2009 at 09:19 PM

Be weary of valves, springs and rings too, even valve seats and heads if it overheated enough to sieze a bottom end.

greedy53 - August 16th, 2009 at 10:23 PM

that was my first idea so a tear down was in order the heads look like new this motor was a fairly recent rebuild and the top parts look like it,pistons and barrels near perfict heads are pretty good nothing major, number 4 has the bigend gone and the fload has destroyed the rear bearing and mount i have a good crank but the case is pretty much had it,so yep it should have been the top surprised me to
thanks for the replys

Craig Torrens - August 16th, 2009 at 10:47 PM

cant you just give the case a line bore ?

greedy53 - August 17th, 2009 at 05:59 PM

i am not sure the big bearing saddel is warn away. i will try and find out if it can be repaired anything is posable but is it worth it
thanks blokes

grumble - August 17th, 2009 at 08:55 PM

Sometimes what you have is better than an unknown quantity,reground crank & a line bore give you a reasonably strong botom end rather than an unknown second hand one. It may seem expensive but you only have to do it once.