Board Logo

Wanted: 15x8 4 Stud Beetle Wheels
DylanTheDubber - July 7th, 2011 at 05:48 PM

Name: Dylan The Dubber
Wanted: Wide 4 Stud beetle wheels prefered 15x8, looking for 2 wheels to suit, Located in NSW.

From Dylan

68AutoBug - July 7th, 2011 at 05:58 PM

YIKES DYLAN

that is a BIG WIDE WHEEL...

best of luck...

Lee

DylanTheDubber - July 7th, 2011 at 06:29 PM

Joel made some up few years back.... wonder if he can help me out for a photo. My mate Dave can make up wheels i might hit him up for a pair.

From Dylan

1916baja - July 7th, 2011 at 07:20 PM

I am in the process of putting 8" wide rims under the rear of my beetle, They are wide and with the same as original backspacing you will probably need at least 3" wider guards to get them under... Mine is a 1970 standard, I swapped long axles for short axles and 3" wider carrera style guards and they look like they should fit... Good luck!

Mick.

fish26 - July 8th, 2011 at 12:13 AM

I may have two for you, thinking of upping the ante with a set of Dragways. How quick do you need them?

ben

SebastienPeek - July 8th, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Damn, that is some very wide rims you'll be putting on yours Dylan, that'll look tough!

I wonder what the maximum width you can go before having to change the rear guards though, I'm sure someone on here will know from past experiences!

STIDUB - July 8th, 2011 at 10:15 AM

15x10s with camber & undersized tyres has been done on stock guards, its a member on here, white bug, pretty sure they were similar to centerlines cant recall the user
higher offset (less backspacing will get you there, technically thats narrowing the track which is technically illegal but its a dub, find one that hasnt been over the years

basically to do it the inside of your wheel/tyre has to be almost scraping the inner guard / spring plate / shock mount

18x10.5's with a 285 fits under an aero... thats 2" wider than stock roughly, but thats NO room to move anywhere.

DylanTheDubber - July 8th, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I Want Aero rear gaurds but dont know where to buy or how much???

STIDUB - July 8th, 2011 at 11:19 AM

untill you have the stud pattern to support the wheel size you need to fill the aeros i wouldnt bother, anything less than a 16x7 will looks retardedly small under them

for future referance though, vintage, vforce and wpvw all have them. just dont ask who came up with the design etc etc

$2-300ish a corner for the guards, change stud pattern to 4x114.3 & find some old wide wheels for an ae86 sprinter, or 5x114.3 & find pre au falcon or alot of things aimed at the drift crowd

wheels that fit every other factor on top of stud pattern is a whole other ball game though.

prime example of the wheel/areo size issue, that pic

DylanTheDubber - July 8th, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I Plan on Running 17 x 9.5, 5x114.3 +12 under rear Aeros. What do you mean dont ask who designed and came up with them? is there a debate?

From Dylan

STIDUB - July 8th, 2011 at 12:27 PM

how do you intend to steer with a 9.5" rim/tyre? dont say a stretched 205 :no:

what made you come up with that size? (a +12 on 9.5" WONT fit) +22 will JUST but you may want to invest in a few spare sets of guards

id suggest something cloer to a 7" wide +5 / +15 ballpark if thats the look your going for, common size on sprinters, and if you stick with 15s & 16s, relatively easy to come by cheaply, either that or some of the wheels like empi 8s that are a copy of superlights that just about every wheel company is knocking off right now
they come in anything from 13x6 to 18x10

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae239/STIDUB/Image1623s.jpg
^ thats an 18x9.5 +18, the very edge of the rim is outside the guard, to drive on that spec wheel you dould have to file back the guard lip completely(goodbye strength) run stretched to hell tyres, hard as springs & pray you can still steer, yes they bolt up ok but... good luck actually driving on them
my 8s +6's are JUST inside the guard lip with bloated tyres, if i go SLIGHTLY undersize they will be ok, but id consider that to be about the limit of what could be done without power steer or a lifetime supply of roids

oh, not to mention the custom bushes & strut tops i have to change the camber/track the most to squeeze them under.
look more towards joels option, less complex & more drivable, excluding the turning circle of a mack truck, possibly roll/stretch the guard out a little to get more width or less offset/more dish/tighter turning circle before you hit anything on full lock.
ive seen ONE bug with guards that were pumped out with a guard roller/hammer etc, didnt look too bad honestly.

STIDUB - July 8th, 2011 at 09:37 PM

missread that it seems, if your running 9.5 rear whats the fronts going to be?

bond - July 10th, 2011 at 09:26 PM

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=59114&page=1#pid560582 

15x10

STIDUB - July 10th, 2011 at 11:36 PM

thanks man, whatever happend to the car/wheels?

Joel - July 11th, 2011 at 09:48 AM

Nick, weren't yours 8"?

That bug was still around the shows for a while but havent seen it lately, bits of that 1835 out of it are still in my shed.

Dylan mine weren't that wide, fronts were 6" and rears were 7" Commodore Police pak pursuit rims, starts getting tight with anything wider.

Have got pics somewhere from when I made them.