Board Logo

Rear Seats and Seat belts
plimthing - August 31st, 2014 at 02:50 PM

i'm sure im not the first person who has wanted to put rear 3 point seat belts in the back of a bug. Was wandering how people went about it. To make things a little more difficult, i have a choppped 71 super bug. So nowhere to put a high up attachment point. So i guess i need another method.
All ideas welcomed at this point, as i cannot go out in bug with kids without their seats fitted.
Also, the rear seat pivots forward and lies flat. How do they lock upright? I appear to have something missing from my car. I have a spiggot on the seat, but nothing on the side of the car for it to lock into/engage to hold the seat upright. Any ideas or links to suppliers/diagrams to let me know what should be there??
Thanks in advance.

Mitchvwnut - August 31st, 2014 at 07:31 PM

There should be a pair of black plastic clip screwed to the side of the behind the rear door cards. I'll see if I can get you a picture of what you might be missing

Betheeee - September 3rd, 2014 at 05:48 PM

I'd be interested in locking back the rear seat back too, although mine is a 66 beetle. I suspect there isn't anything, although there is a little clip on the side of the roof

Mitchvwnut - September 3rd, 2014 at 07:51 PM

Here's a pic I found on google of what might be missing and stopping the seat from staying up.
Mitch

grumble - September 3rd, 2014 at 09:03 PM

I should have a couple of spare ones if you are interested please PM. Betheee the 66 had a rubber locking strap to hold the seat in place.

plimthing - September 4th, 2014 at 09:46 PM

So looking at those, the spiggot on the seat must be retractable as it passes over that device or does it ride over it and lock in place? I will look at car and figure it out.
Thanks for pic.

bitemeoz - September 5th, 2014 at 07:06 AM

I put lap belts in mind. Nothing up high for a 3 point in a 60 beetle.

plimthing - September 5th, 2014 at 03:41 PM

ey Grumble, did you get my PM? I'm happy to take those two clips of your hands! They look like what im after, just looked at car and the spigot springs out of the way so i can see how they work now.

Betheeee - September 6th, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Thanks for the info about the rubber strap. Will try to figure something out

grumble - September 6th, 2014 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Betheeee
Thanks for the info about the rubber strap. Will try to figure something out

Betheeee,the straps should still be available.