Board Logo

Spark plug blew out.
the_rydster - January 12th, 2009 at 03:39 PM

Lucky I was about 1km from home and I drove it back making a hell of a racket. Phoned my mechanic and he said maybe it was a carb plug but I rooted around and found one of the plugs blown out.

The thread does not look stripped, but I am guessing the thread in the head is? I can't really see down there to have a good look.

I don't really know much about engines...would this even be worth repairing? Should I just try screwing the plug back in? How much do I screw it in?

Mick058 - January 12th, 2009 at 03:44 PM

You should be able to feel it if its stripped, sounds like it is though - a helicoil can fix this quite easily - inexpensive and quick. Its like a thread insert.

Others may have a better idea - i did this in a past 1600 with no issues

vw54 - January 12th, 2009 at 04:31 PM

Have hada similar experience remove the lead and try n screw the plug and insert back in
you may get away with it

Screw it in untill it goes TIGHT with a bit of luck

other wise the insert may have to be redone bit of work

Where are you located Some good VW shops can fix this

Pauld - January 12th, 2009 at 05:05 PM

which plug is it, i had to do one and it was a pain but i was lucky it was on number 3 so it wasnt to bad to get at, had a mirror and a torch to see in there, the hardest bit was removing the tang on the helicoil, tricky bit to do had a magnet stick in there to make sure i didnt drop it into the head but it got stuck in the cylinder and was a pain to get out. if it were me id get someone to do it for me

the_rydster - January 12th, 2009 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pauld
which plug is it, i had to do one and it was a pain but i was lucky it was on number 3 so it wasnt to bad to get at, had a mirror and a torch to see in there, the hardest bit was removing the tang on the helicoil, tricky bit to do had a magnet stick in there to make sure i didnt drop it into the head but it got stuck in the cylinder and was a pain to get out. if it were me id get someone to do it for me

It is the one towards the rear of the vehicle on the right.

I'm gonna look tomorrow and see how the hell I can access the 'port'? where plug goes into the head. I am guessing I need to get underneath the vehicle because from the decklid end it is covered with some sort of cowl? thing?

trickysimon - January 12th, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Nope, won't be able to see anything from underneath. Dont know what you mean by a cowl?

pod - January 13th, 2009 at 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by trickysimon
Nope, won't be able to see anything from underneath. Dont know what you mean by a cowl?

i think he means the tinware:yes:

the_rydster - January 13th, 2009 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pod
Quote:
Originally posted by trickysimon

i think he means the tinware:yes:

Yeah that is what I mean; it is a kind of covering.

I can't get my finger in there far enough to feel the threads.

VWCOOL - January 13th, 2009 at 10:57 AM

... don't feel for threads - yet - just try screw it back in. Plugs will gradually work loose and go poop...pooppoop if they aren't torqued properly

vw54 - January 13th, 2009 at 01:00 PM

screw it back in

the_rydster - January 13th, 2009 at 03:02 PM

Damn I think it is stripped because I tried screwing the plug back in and it won't 'bite' and just keeps spinning. It sure is an awkward thing to try and do.:mad:

Havn't a clue what to do now...gonna search on google. Worst thing is I can't drive it to a mech.

Mick058 - January 13th, 2009 at 03:18 PM

you can drive on three cylinders but fuel will be squiring out. Has anybody done it before?

Do you know anyone who is good with helicoils or similar.

Others will probably have better ideas. DOn't get stressed, its not a big problem to have.

vw54 - January 13th, 2009 at 04:11 PM

yes i know SEVERAL who can fix

BUT the_rydster wont let us know where he lives so we can advise

the_rydster - January 13th, 2009 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vw54
yes i know SEVERAL who can fix

BUT the_rydster wont let us know where he lives so we can advise

I live in Perth.

I have used Kurt in Freo before.

vw54 - January 13th, 2009 at 05:44 PM

Ah PERTH that explains a lot

Sorry Dont know Kurt but have a try and see if he can fix for you

Sounds like you may have to pull the engine and get a proper helcoil insert installed

Was the insert one of those copper type inserts the stainless ones are much better

the_rydster - January 13th, 2009 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick058
you can drive on three cylinders but fuel will be squiring out. Has anybody done it before?

Do you know anyone who is good with helicoils or similar.

Others will probably have better ideas. DOn't get stressed, its not a big problem to have.

Sounds like a good way to turn my bug into a burnt-out bug. :lol:

It also make an embarrassing racket. Maybe I can shut the fuel off to that cylinder?

68AutoBug - January 13th, 2009 at 06:27 PM

The head is made from soft alloy so the spark plug thread will always be the stronger thread...

this can be common... mainly from spark plugs that have been fitted without Never seize compound...

If You can jam the spark plug in there somehow..
maybe a slightly larger spark plug... it cannot be any LONGER than the original spark plug.. [into the cylinder]
a piece of very thin metal wrapped around the plug then the plug knocked in carefully with a long spark plug socket
could keep you going for a long time... lol

naturally, its easier to fix with the engine out of the car and the head off...
JAX Heads sell nice reconditioned heads....
I would go that way..
as the other spark plug could be ready to pop too..

Steel and alloy expand and contract differently , thats why never seize should always be used...

Its difficult to stop fuel from going into that cylinder...
as its sucked in...

best of luck..

LEE

paladin - January 14th, 2009 at 08:13 PM

Hey! This may be an obvious answer, but I know in Brissie there are mobile guys who can put in a helicoil. A number of my local mecahnics use a mobile helicoil service and just job that kind of work out. If there's not one listed, then maybe a call to your local Kmart tyre and auto (if there is one) would put you onto the right people locally? When I lost a bolt from my exhaust where it connects to the heads, I had a mobile guy out to put in a helicoil, and it was $70 for the service - $10 less than the local mechanics were going to charge for the same deal. That's assuming you intend on going down that road, of course.

Joel - January 14th, 2009 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick058

with the plug out there would be no compression so it wouldnt draw in much if any fuel
i remeber seeing tyre inflators that screwed in place of the spark plugs years ago

stevosky - January 16th, 2009 at 09:21 PM

This is what you need
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=72399&page=1#pid675725 

the_rydster - January 19th, 2009 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paladin
Hey! This may be an obvious answer, but I know in Brissie there are mobile guys who can put in a helicoil. A number of my local mecahnics use a mobile helicoil service and just job that kind of work out. If there's not one listed, then maybe a call to your local Kmart tyre and auto (if there is one) would put you onto the right people locally? When I lost a bolt from my exhaust where it connects to the heads, I had a mobile guy out to put in a helicoil, and it was $70 for the service - $10 less than the local mechanics were going to charge for the same deal. That's assuming you intend on going down that road, of course.

I think this is an engine out job. I cannot imagine any way to do a decent job with a helicoil, with the blasted tinware in the way of seeing what you are doing?:grind: