Board Logo

L Bug Speedo Question
DylanTheDubber - June 18th, 2009 at 06:15 PM

Hi everyone ,
Im hoping someone can help me with this.
If you put a L bug speedo face plate of a KPH on the same speedo but in MPH will that work, Or do they sell a aftermarket face plate conversion.

Bizarre - June 18th, 2009 at 07:48 PM

yes it will work

You just need to be REAL carefull taking the needle off.
Never done it - but a bloke on SBO use to sell speedos with colour screen printed faces.

I "think" Joel has done a few

Joel - June 18th, 2009 at 09:05 PM

dylan save me replying to your PM, yes you can
100mph equals 160km/h so yep but the odometer will still read in miles naturally but so what, most of them dont read accurately anyway

i checked that speedo against the GPS before i sent it to you and it was within 1km so aslong as the needle postion doesnt get messed up it will read right with a KM face

Barry, that'd be Brian with the red cab and blue eurolooker
he had some nice faces availble, i just got a white indiglow one made here in aus

DylanTheDubber - June 23rd, 2009 at 01:01 PM

I Converted the MPH speedo but not with the face plate. Im going to scan it and screen print some off if anyone wants any to convert the MPH speedo.

VWCOOL - June 23rd, 2009 at 02:56 PM

... the L- and non-L speedo face plates are not interchangeable. Is that what you were asking?

DylanTheDubber - June 23rd, 2009 at 04:47 PM

No no , i know that but i was asking if you could put a KPH speedo face on and MPH speedo. NOTE: We are only talking about L BUG speedos here. :)

VWCOOL - June 24th, 2009 at 08:43 AM

... be easier to simply fit a KM/H speedo. Do you have a UK import or something?

DylanTheDubber - June 24th, 2009 at 09:25 AM

No , just standard L BUG.

Joel - June 24th, 2009 at 10:00 PM

early 73Ls are in MPH
the speedo i sent dylan was dated 9/72
but obviously the change over month was 6/73 cos my convertable was originally in MPH but the other blue 6/73 i had was in KMH

L and flat screen faces are the same just Ls are slightly wider wiht bigger idiot lights

my white indiglo was meant for a standard

DylanTheDubber - June 25th, 2009 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
early 73Ls are in MPH
the speedo i sent dylan was dated 9/72
but obviously the change over month was 6/73 cos my convertable was originally in MPH but the other blue 6/73 i had was in KMH

L and flat screen faces are the same just Ls are slightly wider wiht bigger idiot lights

my white indiglo was meant for a standard

Thanks everyone i have converted a MPH speedo joel gave me and have kept the old broken KPH speedo for spares. I will post a pic up soon but here is a picture of a KPH speedo face of mine. If you print this out then cut it out you can use it as a stick on conversion but i recomend using a lazer or screen printer to print it out. It is to scale so dont modify the size just print out. Also this speedo is not like other KPH speedos i have seen because it has 5 idiot light spots one is ATF and not sure what the other extra one is. But it is a 7/75 year speedo.

From Dylan

Joel - June 26th, 2009 at 09:01 AM

must be from a euro speedo

the extra idiot light is for the city lights

comes up green when you put the parkers on

alot of semi-auto bugs have that as most if not all were fully imported

DylanTheDubber - June 26th, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Yer im gunna hang onto it.