Board Logo

Replacing Door Pillar
mickey_0789 - April 6th, 2010 at 05:53 PM

So I'm finding more and more problems with my beetle as I venture deeper and deeper into the car.

After removing all rust and bog bog bogging I need to repair the right hand side door pillar.

It doesn't seem to have gotten too far onto the bottom of the car however it is too rust to patch weld. Has anyone replaced the pillar themselves and how did they do it?

I've google like crazy and all I can find is people saying its easy but not telling how to do it. I purchased the Haynes Beetle and Bus restoration manual but won't have it for about 3 more weeks.

Also can someon tell me the rough price for engine overhaul? And what modifications I can do to make it a little bit more faster.

Cheers

ian.mezz - April 6th, 2010 at 07:51 PM

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=bugme+video&hl=en&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enAU3...

ian.mezz - April 6th, 2010 at 08:54 PM

http://aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=82698 

mickey_0789 - April 29th, 2010 at 07:02 PM

Thanks for you're help Ian.

Does anyone know where I can purchase the repair panels?

bajachris88 - April 29th, 2010 at 11:49 PM

pretty much any good vw retailer.

Mick motors has got em, but they are QLD. is Cessnock in QLD?
vqw
be careful too. the panels, well like all replacement vw parts never seem as good as original (they are thinner). Thats not the issue though, the issue is the metal tabs that hold the door hinge nut threads, (you will know what i mean when u buy it), they are only very lightly spot welded in and the welds can break easily. Happened to mine before i can even fit. Go around with ur welder and lightly beef up every weld on the replacement panel itself, so u don't get into strife when its fully mounted on ur car.

mickey_0789 - April 30th, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Thanks mate. Nah Cessnock is in NSW. I'm kind of stressing about replacing the pillar, the metal all around it is pretty thin, knowing my luck I'll blow a hole in it.

bajachris88 - April 30th, 2010 at 11:11 AM

As long as u got a Mig welder, you'll be alright. :tu: