Board Logo

Beetle Wheels
LukeM - May 2nd, 2010 at 02:11 PM

G'day everyone.

I am starting to plan the paint job for my 1974 L-Bug and began to think about what sort of wheels I will have on her. I was wondering if anybody could tell me what she would have originally had (colour size etc.), and if there were any options when purchasing a new beetle in 1974 as to what wheels came with it. I am not going to be putting a modern set of mags or anything like that on it as I am going for an originalish look and wondered what different types of wheels It might have had back in the 70s.
Cheers,
Luke.

Bizarre - May 2nd, 2010 at 02:22 PM

Have a look here but you are REALLY limited

http://www.sebeetles.com/contents.htm 

The offset isnt pretty on L bugs

Joel - May 2nd, 2010 at 09:16 PM

2 bolt Lbugs came from the dealers with 15x4.5" et41 rims in silver

you could buy some tacky looking hubcaps from the dealers but any mags were fitted later on
dont listen to anyone that tries to tell you there special edition bug has factory mags, they never sold them in aus

1303Steve - May 2nd, 2010 at 09:39 PM

Hi

Aunger hotwires were all the rage back then, but I think the offset would be all wrong on a L bug. There was also the Globe Bathurst and Magnum Eliminators.

Steve

LukeM - May 3rd, 2010 at 07:02 AM

Thanks everyone for replying. I think I will just keep the wheels original for the time being and might think about changing a bit later on.

Luke

Bizarre - May 3rd, 2010 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel

And the Sports rim was 5.5" 26ET

Dunno if they were ever actually sold in australia

STIDUB - May 3rd, 2010 at 11:38 AM

suprising nobody has suggested the samba galley for the period style wheels, LOTS of them, not many around here though, except horridly wrong offset types & usually 14"

SPRINTSTAR was selling some wheels that may interest you...

Joel - May 3rd, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bizarre
Quote:
Originally posted by Joel

And the Sports rim was 5.5" 26ET

Dunno if they were ever actually sold in australia

not here thank god
the 26et ones were for standard, there was another offset for supers but i cant remember what it was

Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve
Hi

Aunger hotwires were all the rage back then, but I think the offset would be all wrong on a L bug. There was also the Globe Bathurst and Magnum Eliminators.

Steve

they're still cool,
i love mine so much i use them for my spray painting wheels :lol:
they'll be worth a fortune oneday

LukeM - May 4th, 2010 at 04:03 PM

yea offset seems to be a bit of a problem on L-bugs but while im going can anyone tell me what my hubcaps are off?
There the chrome type that were on most VW but mine dont fit the beetle cause they measure a tiny bit over 15cm diameter with a 6.5cm VW logo in the middle? I thought that type3s and ghias were the same as bugs but maybe they are off one of those. Oh and they are the flatter type not the domed ones.

bnicho - May 5th, 2010 at 08:21 AM

I love Aunger Hotwires on my Moke, but I don't know if they really suit a Beetle.

But I've seen a set of polished four spoke dragways on a Blue L Bug and they looked very cool! :)