Board Logo

Opinions on valve saver additives?
Volksy85 - March 20th, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Hi guys

At present my '75 SC (1600 twin port) has a 'fuel star' engine catalyst thing on the fuel line in the engine bay which apparently enables you to run straight ULP. Anyone heard of them? Is valve fluid a better solution?

I plan to replace fuel lines shortly, and ditch it in favour of valve fluid, but I notice there's several types and brands. What do you recommend?

Any help appreciated

Bizarre - March 20th, 2011 at 05:25 PM

All listed out here

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=49875 

USofA aint have leaded for near on 30 years

Personally - waste of money

matberry - March 20th, 2011 at 07:56 PM

:td::td::td:

jjwebb123 - March 20th, 2011 at 09:23 PM

not again...........lol

Volksy85 - March 21st, 2011 at 08:12 AM

thanks guys - good reading.

the 'fact' seems to be NO need but use the stuff if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy. apologies for not searching, as a member of several car forums i should know better!

this has however, inspired me to switch to PULP too :yes:

SlownLow - April 5th, 2011 at 02:39 PM

the premium ulp 95+ gets me much better mileage.

68AutoBug - April 5th, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Hi
I started to use valve saver last year..
it cannot hurt Your engine... and puts a lubricant back in the fuel.... in place of LEAD...

No One seems to believe that a fuel catalyst can do anything..
IMHO...

I also use 95 or 98 premium fuel...
I don't use fuel with ETHANOL in it...
My engine doesn't like it....
so now I don't either....

but there are still old servos selling unleaded 91 without Ethanol... [they have until july 2012 to change their pumps]

cheers

LEE

Quote:
Originally posted by Volksy85
Hi guys

At present my '75 SC (1600 twin port) has a 'fuel star' engine catalyst thing on the fuel line in the engine bay which apparently enables you to run straight ULP. Anyone heard of them? Is valve fluid a better solution?

I plan to replace fuel lines shortly, and ditch it in favour of valve fluid, but I notice there's several types and brands. What do you recommend?

Any help appreciated

Joel - April 6th, 2011 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 68AutoBug

but there are still old servos selling unleaded 91 without Ethanol... [they have until july 2012 to change their pumps]

That will probably change.

Most of the servos around here still sell 91 unleaded - BP, Shell, etc.

Even chatting with a VW freind that works at the woolies servo they are swapping their E10 pumps back to 91 simply because they can't get E10.

The sign on the E10 pumps since the qld cyclone has said E10 will contain between 0 and 10% ethanol so they cover their asses.

beetleboyjeff - April 6th, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Interestingly, when I got fuel in Goondiwindi on Thursday evening on my way from Parkes to Brisbane, they had a sign on the counter appologising for the fact that their 91 ULP may NOT have ethanol in it, as it is hard to get due to short supply. They said you shouldn't notice any difference in performance without the ethanol. (ha ha)

SlownLow - April 6th, 2011 at 11:24 AM

haha thats fantastic...