Board Logo

Flexi-glass fasty popouts??
PHAT BUG - January 30th, 2009 at 01:07 PM

What the deal with these? Were they ever offered in Australia? I'd heard a rumour that they didn't pass ADR's?

It's strange as I've only seen an early fasty with them and I have just picked up a 2/70 fasty which has them too.

1500S - January 30th, 2009 at 05:01 PM

Once again, I think by deleting them from any local assembled vehicles it lowered the cost. Maybe different states had different regulations but quite a few were to be seen around here in NSW. The only ones to retain pop-outs were the Squares which went right through to 1971.

DH

68AutoBug - January 30th, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Volkswagen Australasia seemed to want to sell their cars as cheaply as possible..
so, the majority of cars assembled here had no accessories at all...
I really don't think they were offered to many people... as there just aren't many aussie VWs with any accessories...

yet in the UK & the US there are heaps of sunroofs in VWs
and other extras...

Have a look on Your glass - where was the glass made??
is it Sekurit ??

I'm thinking that all the bending glass may have come from Germany... I don't think ADRs had any influence..
I'd say You are VERY LUCKY to have the bending glass..

Not a lot of people know about it....

cheers

LEE

PHAT BUG - January 31st, 2009 at 07:06 AM

Yeah it's Sekurit, all the other glass is stamped VWA.

Euro_67 - February 1st, 2009 at 06:01 AM

I had a '70 late model fasty with rear pop outs that had no hinges, the glass flexed. I always thought it was odd in a clever way, that VW designed it with no hinges.

1500S - February 1st, 2009 at 06:26 AM

The only popouts ever to be fitted to all fastbacks were the flexglass ones. There were no normal hinged types.

DH

rearengine - April 26th, 2009 at 05:56 PM

Opened one of the popouts on the fasty yesterday and my soon to be brother in law almost crapped himself as I bent the glass:lol: He was suitably impressed.

GTMac - April 26th, 2009 at 10:10 PM

I think only select early Fasty's got them and I think the 2/70 is that cross over from early to late and has no side vents and still retains the sloping parcel tray, thus some of those lucky models also got them.