Board Logo

exhaust paint / coating
slippy - March 25th, 2009 at 02:00 PM

Hi, recently won this exhaust on ebay for ~$160.

What would people recommend for a durable, heat proof coating / paint before I install it and watch the black paint bubble and peel off on my first drive? Trying to keep it cheap, not keen to double the price of the exhaust. Cheers.

matt - March 25th, 2009 at 02:04 PM

i have found sandblast and aerosol heat proof paint works well

matt

slippy - March 25th, 2009 at 02:45 PM

Wow, an answer in 4 minutes, impressive. What brand / type of paint are you talking here Matt? I have heard that some aerosols aren't rated to typical exhaust temperatures and don't last.

mitchellgolds - March 25th, 2009 at 04:13 PM

Hi Slippy, I used VHT "flameproof" on the exhaust on my (I know its not a VW) datsun. I have sprayed it from the turbo back and it hasn't blemished anywhere in about eight months of driving, and it gets damned hot.
I have the can in front of me and it says 1300-2000 degrees F (704-1093 degrees C). It also says to run the car for a bit and let cool, then run again and so on, but the directions are on the can.
I got it from Autobarn, Repco or one of those places.
Hope that helps, Mitchell

68AutoBug - March 25th, 2009 at 05:43 PM

Yes,
VHT high temperature paint..
BUT
You will have to remove that black cheap paint first..
or it will come off taking the top VHF paint with it....

I have found that doing the headers on a Lancer[s] lasts for many years...

but the same paint on My beetle muffler etc... keeps peeling off... only in places though...

I think because it gets so hot then cools down too fast...
Muffler was new when i painted it...

You may have better luck with the extractors as they are mostly made from pipe...

cheers

LEE

matt - March 25th, 2009 at 05:56 PM

vht is the best brand

matt

mitchellgolds - March 25th, 2009 at 06:36 PM

Yeah, I forgot to mention, but as 68AutoBug said you must remove the old coating first. Like anything that has to stick, it's only as good as the surface it is going onto.
Cheers Mitchell

MrScooter - March 29th, 2009 at 09:03 PM

just put it on and let it burn off!
then deal with it. :lol:

colonel mustard - March 29th, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrScooter
just put it on and let it burn off!
then deal with it. :lol:

ahhh... not cause then you have to pull it off to paint it. Just spend a day sanding it back and re painting it. the paint that comes on them is usually crud, so sand it off first. :)

MrScooter - March 30th, 2009 at 08:03 PM

colonel mustard, did you do it in the library? with the candle stick? or was that professor plum?

colonel mustard - March 30th, 2009 at 08:13 PM

I cant lie... I dont know how to play cluedo.... and i never have. The name came about as that is my car's name. My friends named it that when I got it, partly because of the color.. and also because of verse from the bible... - He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20 :) - colonel - kernel - seed..... see :)

MrScooter - March 30th, 2009 at 08:40 PM

ahh yes, many times i've had to use a little faith while behind the wheel of a volkswagen, like the other month when i sprung a huge fuel leak... OH DEAR GOD! DONT LET ME BURST INTO FLAMES!!!!!!!

i'm still here and so is the car, thanks JC

colonel mustard - March 30th, 2009 at 08:50 PM

:)