Board Logo

what to look for when buying?
donovan - April 7th, 2009 at 04:13 PM

I'm new to the world of type 3's and and will be looking at a 1972 squareback on the weekend.I would appreciate any tips on what to look out for and where problems might be hidden.
thanks don

vw54 - April 7th, 2009 at 04:38 PM

rust

h - April 7th, 2009 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vw54
rust

yep bout sums it up

Klaus - April 7th, 2009 at 06:08 PM

couple of spots where they go

colonel mustard - April 7th, 2009 at 07:40 PM

check that it starts...... hahah

there is actually a good guide in the john muir compleat idiots guide to keeping your volkswagen alive. :)

donovan - April 8th, 2009 at 06:31 AM

thanks, I will consult the bible and look for .... rust. Hope to have some pics of my own soon, with a bit less ... rust

Type3Sicko - April 8th, 2009 at 08:28 AM

Take a good strong magnet(a bit of felt glued or taped to it will prevent paint being scratched) with you, a flashlight and be particular to lift carpets and check battery tray, wheel arches,jacking points, spare wheel well, all rubbers to see if they sit flush and aren't hiding rust. should take 20 mins to check it over thouroughly, don't forget to listen for grinding and growling from g'box, steering play when stationery and on the road, does it blow smoke when starting, backing off down a hill? have a look at the fuel in fuel filter...cruddy and dirty? The dip stick should NOT have burnt oil on it, have a gander at the pedal assembly, easy enough to undo a couple of scews to lift plate off...rust loves to live in there. Let us know how you go...oh yeah...engine mounts and shock towers, hide rust as well...good luck!

VeeDubua - April 13th, 2009 at 10:04 PM

very interesting, thanks for the tips.

davemaleny - April 20th, 2009 at 10:03 PM

On a type 3 that looks rust free I always look first at: top front quarters, door sills, lower rear quarters, rear internal drains (either side of engine bay where the rear window vents drain to) and last but not least floor pan (battery bat and frontof door/fire wall area). Good luck ??
Ps claus - that is some nice rust there.