Board Logo

Early front on late body
satori - April 20th, 2009 at 07:22 PM

Is there anyway of modifying the front of a 72 square to make fit a early front end, mainly want the early bonnet look.

thanks

GTMac - April 20th, 2009 at 07:44 PM

Yes you can but b@stard of a job. Because the nose is sloping you need the front apron off the early model, this will then allow you to accept the bonnet and guards. Believe you then have to make modifications for the bumpers to fit because of different bracket placement. Can be done but better getting an early (hint hint), look at my reply to your request for early model.

Hey by the way, you dont happen to be selling a few Type 3 items on Ebay at the moment do you?

satori - April 20th, 2009 at 08:57 PM

Yeah just saw reply to the early body post. Am definitly considering it. What needs to be done to it as far a the ea82. I am wanting a ea82 setup in my square, so could be a good deal for me. Will get back to you on it. Its my wifes turn to pick our next VW, ive bought the last 4. We'll keep it a secret ha ha ha.

GTMac - April 20th, 2009 at 09:21 PM

The EA82 was a runner until the carby was taken off for servicing but has not been put back on and engine restarted for years but in saying that should fire up once all connected again.

Was thinking of just taking the EA82 out and selling it seperately. Brand new I think the adaptor plate and flywheel sell for atleast $500 and thats what I would ask for the engine complete with flywheel and adaptor plate.

To put this in your square you would need to have the horns from a swing axle welded onto your IRS suspension or make up a cradle that can hold the Suby at its normal engine mounts and then up to the Type 3 engine mount brackets.

Of course with any water engine conversion you will run the radiator in your spare wheel well and lines underneath.

Will make it clear again as dont want to upset anyone, my 68 Fasty is in need of paint (unless Rat look is required). Needs to be tidyied up inside as its missing front seats, dash is ordinary and from what I have discovered when gone looking, generally solid but requiring some rust work done to the sill area and water box area that is hidden by the rear guards. Pan is pretty good. Panels are all repairable or I have some spares.