Board Logo

is this a good deal?
Deerboy - April 24th, 2009 at 03:15 PM

hi there, been lookin at gettin a tIII for a while and wanted something like this:

click for my dream car

came across this the other day and took it for a test drive:

click to see for sale - fastback red and silver

he's spent a lot on recon engine and trans and it seems to run alright

negotiated down to $5500 - needs about $600 for RWC - new tires mostly, bulbs and a few tightenings - paint is ok, a few flakes and a little pitting but fine from a distance. would need some work on the interior but mechanically it seems well taken care of.

is that a good deal or am i better off buying a cheap $1k off ebay and doing restoration? i was amazed at the similarity to my concept!

gotta decide asap so any thoughts from those further down the path would be greatly appreciated

Tim

myvintageroom - April 24th, 2009 at 07:05 PM

I think I would be a little more patient.
You could probably do better than that.
Maybe pay the same price for something with original colour.

matt - April 24th, 2009 at 07:32 PM

where are you? i have a 70 type 3 wagon for sale, needs resto,$1000ono
matt,
P.S i am in mount gambier SA

rearengine - April 26th, 2009 at 04:52 PM

Only an opinion but I think thats a lot for a late one. I would pay that for a solid early but not a late.

donn - April 26th, 2009 at 09:01 PM

If you give the man some money and you drive away with a smile on your face then it was a good deal, if your still smiling 12 months later then it was a great deal.

GTMac - April 26th, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Firstly do you really want an auto? It looks clean and you can drive and enjoy straight away. My experience is that $1000 restos cost about 10x that unless you are very lucky and get something very dry rust free (lol).

You have min $300 worth of center console, min $200 for the tacho, both of which are hard to get in good condition and are a sweet accessory.

Can I put it this way, it is rewarding to do your own but very nice to have someone do a lot of the hard work for you. Unless a cheap Splitty worth keeping falls in my lap, I will pay the $40k and buy a good one ready to drive when I can afford it, so maybe your better off doing the same and grab it.

For inspiration, this is how my "rust free" $1000 Fasty looks like before and after.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m30/gtmac/P1012384.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m30/gtmac/Fasty3.jpg

rusty62 - April 26th, 2009 at 11:57 PM

got anymore photos

GTMac - April 27th, 2009 at 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rusty62
got anymore photos

Of the finished product or of the resto? I have done a pretty poor picture clip of about 30 photos showing parts of the resto and final product on Youtube.

Just search "VW Type 3 Fastback resto" and something should come up. Only did this because I was playing with Windows Movie Maker. Cant work out why some pics are blurry.........anyway.

h - April 27th, 2009 at 10:06 AM

for that coin it would have to be legit rwc for my money..
take your time and keep looking.. something will pop up

71notch - April 27th, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I would wait or negociate further and as the previous poster said I would want a RWC for that price, BUT if you have the money and really want it then go for it! :D

vwombat - May 20th, 2009 at 06:06 AM

No RWC at that price is criminal, but if it's really that close and you KNOW there are no nasty surprises,
you might get lucky on money in the long run. With this much work done - WHY is this being sold in the
first place?

I think it's a buyers market at the moment, and paint jobs like these really narrow the field in terms of
buyers. You're probably the only one interested... That means you're in a good position to poker the
owner either INTO RWC for that price (reasonable), or drop the price to cover your $600.

BTW - Is $600 REALLY what it needs for roadworthy? A "few tightenings" sounds interesting - do those
squeaks reveal the need for new tie rod ends or balljoints or suspension? Sometimes you need to live
with the car a while before you find some expensive "hidden qualities".

isky - May 20th, 2009 at 08:25 AM

GTMac that's awesome mate! nice work...

Deerboy are you a Brisbane lad?