Board Logo

type 3 jack
RATAFIED - April 24th, 2009 at 08:48 PM

anyone have a pic of one or has one for sale in the sydney area

izac - April 24th, 2009 at 10:22 PM

theres not really a type 3 specific jack i dont think... trolley or scissor jacks work fine. just put it under the rear torsion housing for the back and the front beam for the front..

GTMac - April 26th, 2009 at 10:06 PM

I think your better off getting small scissor jack from Laser or Charade from wreckers. The VW jack may let you down at the most inconvenient time, thats why I have 2 VW jacks sitting in the corner doing nothing.

RATAFIED - April 28th, 2009 at 08:22 PM

thanks i have been using the one out of my XR8 its a scissor jack

grumble - April 28th, 2009 at 08:27 PM

A small hydraulic trolley jack used properly is much safer in my opinion than any of these jacks. cheers

GTMac - April 28th, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grumble
A small hydraulic trolley jack used properly is much safer in my opinion than any of these jacks. cheers

True but not what I want to carry around in my boot at any time. All good and well if your at home but I think we are talking road side emergencies.

grumble - April 29th, 2009 at 08:13 PM

They don't take up much more space than the widow makers and are much more stable.

GTMac - April 29th, 2009 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grumble
They don't take up much more space than the widow makers and are much more stable.

I just dont have anywhere to secure it and wouldnt it be heaps heavier?

cruiser - May 16th, 2009 at 01:33 AM

I cleaned up my original jack and while it does work it can slip when lowering so that the car would drop 2 or 3 inches in a jolt so it's a bit scary. It looks cool in it's place under the bonet but I would only use it for emergencies. At home I use a trolley jack.

grumble - May 16th, 2009 at 08:05 PM

that is exactly why I suggested a small trolley jack,i have seen them drop a lot of times as you described.There is no substitute for safety!