Board Logo

installing a windscreen on a Ghia...
isky - June 23rd, 2009 at 06:05 PM

Groovers,

Well im about to install the windscreen on my latest Ghia. It came with the glass not install and is complete with chrome moldings. Ive read that installing a ghia windscreen can be a bitch. Im going to get windscreens O'Brien to do it but was wondering if any of you had any advice. The guy who sold me the car said when he got them out to do his other Ghia it took half a day!...i just wanted to be prepared and to give them any advice i can. Cheers!

Isky

ps Oh im taking the moldings of my other car because the crome is in better nick. Its possible to take the moldings off with out removing the whole glass isnt it??

vw54 - June 24th, 2009 at 07:47 AM

cut the old rubbers on the other screen to remove the glass n trim in one go that way u wont crack the glass or damage the moldings

when removed the moldings make sure u clean the inside and out in the grooves etc etc to remove all the dirt and gunk

this will make them fit fit the new rubbers much better and sit correctly

make sure they center the join in the rubbers to the center of the screeen so they hide behind the trim cover joiners

clean all the edges of the glass so the rubbers sit correctly and they seal as well no need for goo either

And lots of luck with the windscreen mob make sure they guarantee to replace the glass if they brake it

isky - June 24th, 2009 at 08:23 AM

thanks vw54,

so are you saying its not possible to take the molding off my other ghia without cutting the existing seal and thus removing the complete windshields....id like to resell it later and would prefer to do so with the windscreen still intact no matter what condition the seal. Also what do you mean by "no need for goo" is that a glue that they use to stick it in place. Cheers

vw54 - June 24th, 2009 at 09:33 AM

well if u try removing the trims with out cutting the rubbers you will bend n distort the trims and they wont fit the new screens as they r fragile so cutting is the best method

yes goo most windscreen places want to use it by the bucket loads the VW seals are designed to be fitted without it

isky - June 24th, 2009 at 06:23 PM

thanks mate...i thought trying to get them out without cutting might be a bit dicey. So am i going about this the right way? That is getting Windscreens O'Brien to do it? or is there another company that might be a better choice?

helbus - June 24th, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Unfortunately it is not just the company name, but also the actual guy doing the fitting of the screens that counts. You might get a major company with a really good fitter employed at that branch, or you may get an independent glass company that has no experience with this type of glass.

The moulds are not common. Save the moulds. Cut the rubber. If the body of the vehicle is real smooth and clean, and the rubber is good quality, then no sealer has to be used, however I will always use a minimal amount. Some cars I do, I know that the rubbers are not available in good quality, so more sealer (goo) is required.

isky - June 25th, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Yes i thought so...Great thanks for your help mate :tu: Cheers!

ps. "Some cars I do"! If your in the Brisbane area and feel like helping a fellow dubber please let me know :D I can always get the seals from o.s and am willing to reimburse you for your time and experience...Thanks again!

Anthony

vw54 - June 25th, 2009 at 07:14 AM

Unfortunatly Helbus is ine Melbourg n I am in Sunnny sydney

as per above its the guy doing the work that makes the difference find a small shop someone whos been in business fora while and will take the time to do job properly

isky - June 25th, 2009 at 08:01 AM

thanks Dave, i worked that out after i clicked on one of your links last night mate :) Thanks for all your advice, it will be valuable...

Newt - June 26th, 2009 at 08:00 PM

Dont want to be a pain, but if you are wanting to fit a non laminated window, it may not be legal for the window compay to fit it.

Newt

isky - June 26th, 2009 at 08:45 PM

Thanks Newt...

I dont think any window company could care less as long as they make their dosh. Obrien's just quoted me 600 bucks with me supplying the glass! They got buckleys!! besides im going to take 'vw58's' advice and look for a small business with experience...or even wait till i start my panel beating and car resto course at tafe and see if they can help if i get the rubber seals.

...and a good comment is never a pain :)

Calcool - July 2nd, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Can be done, you need lots of patience. All good advice so far. I am in Brisbane and have fitted them before, but I am very time poor. Let me know how you go, or give me a call.

Cheers,

David

0434 58 22 64

vwsteve - July 3rd, 2009 at 06:43 AM

if you get desperate you can come for a drive to caboolture some time with all the trims rubber and screen, i will show you how its done then, im time poor too:crazy:

isky - July 4th, 2009 at 04:30 PM

Hey Rexy and David!

Thanks heaps for the offers! i might need to take you up on it. Id really like to get my car on the road even though it still looks pretty bad. At least there's no rust and its solid. If i wait till the panel resto course that might take literally weeks if not months.

Just out of curiosity i still have the rubbers / glass and moldings that came with it. Its the c-section molding. I was wanting to put a more chromier better quality molding in from my other red parts ghia but will need to buy new rubbers because it is the T-groove moldings and the rubbers holding them in atm are shite. I also plan to take the glass out a couple of years down the track when its time to paint, Do you think i should put the original crappy c-groove rubbers on in the mean time or just put the chromier red cars windows with new rubbers in? I should be able to remove the new rubbers down the track and reinstall shouldn't i?

Does any of what i just said make sense? Thanks heaps for the offer, much appreciated!

Anthony