Board Logo

type 3 carbs
remm340912 - July 10th, 2009 at 12:31 PM

thinking its about time to overhaul the twin carbs in the notch but was wondering if its better just to buy new ones and if so which ones are reccomended. I wouldnt mind a little more kick in the old girl. Any suggestions?

Andy - July 10th, 2009 at 08:28 PM

I'm sure others can comment on non stock carbs.
As for stock I would say re-build the originals over new if they are still sound.
I have run both and went back to the originals.
The Brazillian Solex's had issues with the auto chock sticking, and did not have a cam type action like original, so was basically on or off. The top cover and accel. pump cover also warped easily, so I had a lot of trouble with leaking. Once I got a sound set of originals and had them re-built, they were much better.

izac - July 10th, 2009 at 09:34 PM

I installed a set of dual Dellorto 36 DRLA's on my sqaureback about 3 months ago. I am very impressed with them and they have seemed to give it a LOT more kick than the stock dual 32 PSDIT's and are easy to tune. The only problem I've had has been with crossbar linkage i bought for them. I got the short manifolds, air cleaners and linkage from CBperformance through VWparts.net.

Great set of carbs I highly recommend them. you;ll have to buy them second hand though as they are not made anymore. Got my pair off the Samba - they are OE carbs on some 80's Alfa Romeo's.