Board Logo

EDIT - Classic VW Stainless Over the Top exhaust
Peter_D_C - July 17th, 2009 at 09:50 AM

Anyone have any experience with this system?

I am having a 1916 built by Stan Pobjoy and want a quality exhaust to match. Everything else ive come across is of poor EMPI quality and 1'3/8 which is too small....

Edit: Sorry, previously reffered to this as a vintage vw system.

http://www.classicveedub.com.au/images/SpareParts/muffler_exhaust/IMG_2561.JPG

Craig Torrens - July 17th, 2009 at 09:55 AM

I have sent you a PM

vw54 - July 17th, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Which exhaust is it your looking at do u have a pic of the one your wanting

Peter_D_C - July 20th, 2009 at 04:47 PM

Hey Craig,

Hit you back with a PM, not sure if its working though??? :(

vw54 - July 20th, 2009 at 05:34 PM

thats fora Type 3 is that the car you have

the extractor looks good dont know how loud it will be though

Peter_D_C - July 20th, 2009 at 07:27 PM

Dave,

Yeah mate, a '69 square. Only other over the top system is from ISP in the US for about but they want to sting $400 in shipping. How bout nooooooooooooo.

pimppride - July 21st, 2009 at 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter_D_C
Dave,

Yeah mate, a '69 square. Only other over the top system is from ISP in the US for about but they want to sting $400 in shipping. How bout nooooooooooooo.

we do not want to sting you $400 for shipment, we do not get that money... UPS does...

the exhaust is packaged 42" x 13" x 9" in inches and its weight is 22lbs and Australia has postal service limitations that do not allow this size of a package to be sent to you... if you can find a carrier for cheaper, please have them pick it up for you

as for that stainless version, what diameter is the pipe? it looks kind of more home made not from tooling ect...

Anthony / ISP WEST

vw54 - July 21st, 2009 at 07:09 AM

not sure on the placement of the muffler it will probally radiat heat transfere to the rubber air bellows on yr car

the headers look good but i would makea new exhaust pipe and duct the muffler some where else

Yep shipping from the US is expensive but u can shop around get it sent sea freight if you dont need it next week may take a few months but will be cheaper

Peter_D_C - July 21st, 2009 at 08:47 AM

Hey Ant,

Sorry mate no offence intended, I know ISP doesnt have a win from the shipping!!! When you guys going to get an Aussie rep!!!!!

As for dia, im finding that out today.......

The pipes look OK, but ill agree the muffler looks so-so.

Tazz - August 14th, 2009 at 06:05 PM

I have this on my early square... after the burn in its sounds great. I'm running 1500 SP but still its got good note.

Tazz

grumble - August 14th, 2009 at 06:24 PM

Richard Holzl at Beetle racing fabricated a set of pipes for the superbug with a 2 litre T4 engine for us and it sounds good with a tuckaway muffler,a bugger of a job to do as we used modified heater boxes with the outlet coming forward but he did it well.

Jukka - August 15th, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Hi Peter.
Stan just built the motor for my 73 square. I am looking at getting custom headers made up as I can not find any decent off the shelf items. Will let you know if I have any luck.
Cheers Jukka.

cruiser - August 16th, 2009 at 11:08 PM

I recently enquired with socal autoparts about the tri mil over the top system and they quoted me USD$175 freight. With todays exchange that makes the whole system AUD$345 shipped.

System USDD$115
Freight USD$175

http://www.socalautoparts.com 

I know from my own business that freight can vary from country to country depending the carrier. ISP just needs a new freight carrier that has a favorable rate for Australia.

Peter_D_C - August 18th, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jukka
Hi Peter.
Stan just built the motor for my 73 square. I am looking at getting custom headers made up as I can not find any decent off the shelf items. Will let you know if I have any luck.
Cheers Jukka.

Cheers Jukka. If you could let me know how you get on it would be appreciated.

Jukka - September 5th, 2009 at 04:27 PM

G'day Peter
Found custom headers too dear bought 2nd hand thunderbirds off forum. Muffler was burnt out so had some custom pipes done by Berklee in Coffs. Very happy with end result and motor pulls strong to 6000rpm were before it levelled out after 4000.

Jukka - September 5th, 2009 at 04:31 PM

Try again to get photo

Klaus - September 5th, 2009 at 07:58 PM

I have 2 of those less muffler might have some good heater boxes aswell. If you want the thunderbird system
$150 with good boxes.

Doctor - September 8th, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jukka
Try again to get photo

I am tempted to see if anyone in Adelaide can make me a system similar for my square.... I like that setup, any details on it? Size etc?

Peter_D_C - September 8th, 2009 at 05:17 PM

Thats a good looking system Jukka. :tu:

Im guessing thats 1'1/2" or 1'5/8"?

I ended up going with the stainless OTT system from classic for a number of reasons.

1. Im busy and couldnt be asked organising a custom exhaust.
2. See point 1.
3. The only other option was EMPI / Bugpack rubbish.

Its only 1'3/8 but stan mentioned he drove a bus that he'd done an engine for which had a 1'3/8 exhaust and to his suprise it still went well, so here's hoping. Its only a base 1916 with twin 36IDF's so its not breathing fire.... (yet :smirk:).

Ill post pics once its in the car and let everyone know how it sounds & go's.

Doctor - September 8th, 2009 at 06:25 PM

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Adelaide that can do my a setup similar to the one i enquired about above? (the one Jukka Posted) I Generally use AAA Exhausts but not afraid to try someone else if the price is right and the work is recommended!