Board Logo

1500S - what drums ?
Sides - August 17th, 2009 at 01:16 PM

OK, dumb question time, but here goes....

Does a 1500S use the same drums as any other early Notch ???

Second, are they hard to get, and other than the usual places like Mick Motors, Vintage etc. anyone have recommendations on where to get some from ???

Background is that an older guy I know through racing has a 1500S... a 64 I think he said... and since the drums on it are stuffed he's after either some very good used ones, or ideally newies. The ones on it are the originals that have been getting properly looked after, skimmed etc. since the car was new, but the time has come.... so I said I'd find out some of the basics for him.

Cheers guys.

1500S - August 17th, 2009 at 04:28 PM

If it is an Australian produced 1500S, mechanically it's the same as the normal 1965 model.

See Phil Matthews "history" pages. The only thing in question is that the Australian one didn't have the high compression pistons fitted. It is quite easy to tell the difference between the Australian and German "S" trim wise but as far as I know the brake drums are the same for the 64 and 65 model. Australia only had the 65 model. Hope that helps with picking up some good drums.

DH

Investment and expansion continues, with another £10 million committed to local manufacture. The Clayton machine shop, boiler house, central service area, medical centre and inflammables store were completed, and work begins on expanded parking and storage areas, new office block, new service centre and light alloy aluminium/magnesium foundry.

Volkswagen Australiasia Ltd establishes a subsidiary, VW Distribution Ltd, to take over state distribution of VW vehicles from the independent companies. LNC Industries loses the distribution rights for NSW, but still own the largest VW dealer chain, Lanock Motors, who open a new VW sales and service branch at Hornsby. The Australian VW dealership chain reaches its all-time peak of 290, including 29 in Sydney.

The locally made 1500S is introduced, a high compression twin-carb model that is only £40 more than the normal 1500 sedan. The locally made 1500 Panel Van, with no side windows and black wood interior panelling, is also introduced.

The new European larger-window Beetle body is not used in Australia, as VWA could not justify the very high cost of updating all the local press shop tooling. The old body continues on, but the Beetle is updated with roll-top front seats, a rear seat that now folds flat, and new trim.

National advertising offers a tempting series of trade-ins and discounts on VW models as part of VWA’s ‘tenth birthday’ celebrations, but sales begin to drop. Chrysler overtakes VW in Australian market share.

Greg Cusack demonstrates a US-built Formula Vee at Sydney’s Warwick Farm circuit. The first Australian Formula Vee race is held at Warwick Farm in November, and is won by Frank Kleinig.

25,577 Volkswagens are sold – 18,077 VW 1200s, 3,158 VW 1500s, 31 Karmann Ghias and 4,311 Transporters.