Board Logo

Type 3 Drivers Door window winder. Arrrggghhh!
rion20000 - May 7th, 2012 at 11:56 AM

:grind:Hi all. I've had heaps of trouble with the winder on my fastback drivers door. It keeps jumping off the channel. I've had the guy at SSVW look at it and he fixed it well! Then I had the panels re covered and the trim guy knocked it off the channel and it keeps jumping off again. Does anyone know a VW guy closer to home (Red Hill, Brisbane) who could help my fix it for good, or have a second hand door with a winding mechanism that actually works? SSVW is a bit far from home for me and it's hard for me to get time off work to drop it down and fetch it again.

68AutoBug - May 7th, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Are they anything like beetle window winders??

LEE

cruiser - May 7th, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I have had mine fall off in the past.

There should be a rubber piece first on the glass and then the channel goes over that. Just to establish that you have that otherwise the steel channel alone will be a loose fit.

I glued the rubber to the glass with the yellow contact adhesive and then glued the channel to the rubber with sikaflex (a polyurethane adhesive) which you can get at Bunnings.

68AutoBug - May 7th, 2012 at 12:49 PM

OK

thats what I thought He was talking about...

the steel piece [channel] that holds the glass..
I had to renew one of mine it had rusted away..
wasn't much holding the glass... [maybe fish oil...]

It shouldn't come out if the full channel is still there and still has tension to hold the glass and rubber...

Not hard to knock the glass into the rubber in the channel...
I may have used a rubber mallet...?

You could use silastic [silicon] to keep it in there after its been put in.. OR

put silastic on both sides of the rubber and fit the rubber into the channel
when You tap the glass with a mallet the silicone will act like a lubricant to help it slide the glass into place..

and when it sets it will help keep it there.. and keep water out of it..

cheers

LEE

waveman1500 - May 7th, 2012 at 03:52 PM

The window channels are available new for a very reasonable price. Under $20 from memory? I had a rusted one in my type three and the local VW shop even had them in stock. Call up your local VW shop and get a new window channel for it, you will never look back!

rion20000 - May 7th, 2012 at 06:05 PM

Hi guy's, thanks for all the help. It's actually the little metal bow that slides along the metal channel strip while you wind it thats coming out all the time. Any idea's?

rion20000 - May 8th, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Mmmmm. Looks like I've stumped everyone!

cruiser - May 9th, 2012 at 06:17 PM

I can't remember it that well to think how that clip works but I know the one you mean. A bit like a bow tie. I've seen them broken too where use has worn through the steel.

The arm should not come off that track at all unless the whole channel is not in the correct position on the glass. If not it can come out the end of the track part??

grumble - May 9th, 2012 at 06:39 PM

I have a few S/h mechanisms if that will help,pm if you want one. I have both L & R /H sides.

Calcool - May 9th, 2012 at 08:53 PM

Sounds like there could be a few problems.

Firstly, the Glass attachment piece may not be in the correct position clamped onto the glass so it runs out of channel ie the arc the winder creates causes the piece where the bow tie sits to slip out of the channel in the bottom of the Glass attachment piece.

Second, your Bow Tie could be missing which will only compound the problem above.

I am sure I could fix it but I am over on the Bayside South of Brisbane!

Take a couple of pics and post them up I am sure I could talk you thru how to fix it yourself.

Cheers,

David

vlad01 - June 8th, 2012 at 04:02 PM

also the winder arm can be bent and causing it to pop out sideways. I seen this one happen once. Other causes I have also seen is worn or bent "bow tie" clip, and rusted off winder channel.

Oh and one more, this one had me stumped for a while. the winder itself can have its limit stop worn off and when you wined a little too hard it can wined past and cause the arm to slide part the end of the channel, this will also unmesh the gears in most cases.

empi - June 9th, 2012 at 11:21 AM

The little "Bow tie" can be purchased new, have you replaced you bailey chanel?? make sure the glass is sitting square in the chanel and ensure that the 1/4 window chrome is secured in the correct position and tight.

I think it be more the case of adjustment and making sure all sliding components are secure.

:ninja: